Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-11-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Going to wipe my computer -- advice?

Okay, I have a standard Dell I bought a couple of years ago. It's not that outdated -- 256 ram, 1.8 Pent 4, 30 gigs -- nothing special but adequate. The damn thing has been running so SLOW lately, and has not been wanting to run some programs. Specifically Yahoo Messenger (which my wife loves) and a picture viewer for our digital camera won't start at all. I have run spayware programs (Spybot and MS spyware beta) and a decent anti-virus program (Symantec). I just defraged and nothing. The fact that these programs are refusing to start makes warning bells go off in my head (that this is something virus related).

Anyhow, I think I just want to wipe eveything and start from scratch. One problem: I can't find the f-ing restart disk! (I can't beleive I was dumb enough to loose it, but anyhow.) So what are my options? I want to nuke the damn thing and start over reinstalling stuff. This computer is fine for what I and my wife use it for (email, word processing, chatting, poker) when it works.

Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Going to wipe my computer -- advice?

Get a copy of windows. You should be able to find it somewhere. Then just use the key that is usually affixed to your computer somewhere.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Going to wipe my computer -- advice?

Yes you need an installable windows + product key and if the cd doesn't boot you need a bootdisk which can be found at bootdisk.com . You might need to turn boot-from-cd on from bios if the cd boots. Well if it doesn't you need the bootdisk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] good luck.