Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!
Default Re: KK vs a very tricky player

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like capping the turn...because if he has garbage then he's just going to fold.
By calling the turn there you let him continue to entertain the idea that he can bluff you out or that his T is good or whatever.

Just because they are insane doesn't mean they are total idiots.
Capping the turn is likely to push him out when he's drawing dead and you don't induce another bet on the river.

Worthwhile thought?? Or is capping just the obvious choice here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given description, opponent will never fold a J or T, may think his JT is the nuts, could very well have a str8 draw, will take A high to the river and may call a river bet with it. Of course, a 3 is also within his range.

No, maniacs are not total idiots, they know that a flush beats a straight, two pair beats one, but they are still maniacs for a reason. I do differentiate between LAGs and maniacs though, i think this guy fits into the latter. Some 40/20- 50/25 (LAG) types try to read hands and can tell when they're beat. I think it's close b/c the board is paired and his bet-call, b-3-b is suspicious, but don't give them too much credit

As an aside, my favorite hand of the past month went something like this: maniac opens in sb w/ AKo, i call in bb w/ 44. We cap each street after i flop a set and he stays unimproved.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 PM

I figured this(Mid hand with like 10 seconds to think or so, and being happy i had kk "WOOO KING KING, BET LIKE MAD, BET LIKE MAD"(An urge im trying to control LOL)).

If he has a 3, Im screwed so capping turn is pricey.

So i raised it and he 3bet, Now would he 3bet a T? Potentially but also other hands including a 3 of course.

If i cap he may not bet the river which will make me want to value bet it, however he's tricky so i want him to bet and me to call vs other way around(I dont want him to C/r me!).

As this was the case i thought calling would encourage more action from weaker hands and a bluff but also avoid a C/r situation with a 3.

Results to come shortly.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:21 PM

I agree...but obviously a few others have pointed out the flaws to my thinking.

I've had a stretch of hands where i'm betting, getting check-raised by maniac, so I 3-bet my big hand, and then my opponent folds.
And in hands where i decide to try to slow-down to keep them around I keep them betting away with UI T7o with no draw where they clearly would have folded to value-aggression on my part.

It does happen.
But it's probably a short-term thing that is tricky to gain long-term value from if you go overboard with it (as I likely have been doing).
Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 PM

well the way i played it, i still stand by my line taken because i want to induce bluffs and dont want to get capped and HAVE TO CALL RIVER with my KK in a huge pot.

Also don't want to get C/r by a 3 at river, i assume you guys want me to cap then bet the river when checked to?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also don't want to get C/r by a 3 at river

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a 3 very rarely.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:34 PM

So results are below, yeh spicey is rare but to say "Its rare" after he played super aggressively is one of those times when probabilitys mean very little and reads hold more value.

However yeh hes super aggressive and i had him on every but a 3 hence the call down.

www.rot13.com Paste below into the textbox to see result.

Ur unq NN naq gbbx gur cbg. Gbyq lbh ur'f gevpxl, ohg qvqa'g jnag gb fnl "Qbrfa'g pnc NN cersybc" nf v qvqa'g xabj zvq unaq [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's not tricky, he's an idiot. ur line is fine

[/ QUOTE ]
The only change to this is that I prefer to use the descriptor: Moran.
As PokerBob said, capping the turn will probably do you little good when your ahead, but will hurt you when your behind.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:24 AM

I am capping that turn and singing the Lord's praises while I do it. He is a LAGtard monkey. Punish him. If he has a 3, TT or JJ, good for him. He is giving you value. Take it.

Another possibility is to call the turn 3-bet and BANG the river. The only rub there is that I am NEVER folding this hand, but putting in 3 bets on the river would make me poop.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As an aside, my favorite hand of the past month went something like this: maniac opens in sb w/ AKo, i call in bb w/ 44. We cap each street after i flop a set and he stays unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand seems to contradict this statement,

No, maniacs are not total idiots, they know that a flush beats a straight, two pair beats one,

as the maniac in the hand you describe is clearly an idiot.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As PokerBob said, capping the turn will probably do you little good when your ahead, but will hurt you when your behind.

[/ QUOTE ] Opps, I meant MicroBob.