Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Limited Time Only

First round of a live $100 rebuy tourney at LC's in SF. I haven't rebought yet and have my starting stack of 1k. The only thing I know about the button is this:

He was playing in the big 20-40 NL game right up until gametime. He still had about 3k of chips racked up on the rail that he was fiddling with trying to cash them out. He seemed fidgity.

He had played about half the hands, usually raising. He limped reraised once from UTG and showed AA on a Q high flop when he bet and the other guy folded. He continuation bet every time he raised preflop and won every hand except one where he lost back all his profit and had around 1150 or so. My prelim read on him was either good/aggressive or bad/aggressive, but I was fairly certain that he didn't like calling AND that he may or may not have wanted to get back in that cash game.

We are about half way through round 1.

My guy is three to my right and on the button. I limp UTG w/ 33. Three more limpers and I just know 100% that this guy is going to PWN us. Sure enough, he makes it 300 total (blinds 25/25).

Folded to me and I have a rule that if I know someone is going to raise before they have acted once preflop and I have any FE and any amount of dead money in the pot I make a big reraise. Since I had the perfect stack size to do it, i did.

The only reason I post is because I'm quite certain that that's the first LRR w/ 33 I've ever tried.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Limited Time Only

Why'd you limp? Were you planning this? The push seems fine; I especially like that he made the same play with AA, so he may even make a big fold here..
Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 AM

I presume you limped UTG specifically for this reason and otherwise you would have just folded. Did it make a difference that you had 33? Seems like any cards would have been just about as good as 33 right there. The only issue I have is that you say he looks like he might want back in the cash game and if that's the case, he's more likely to call even if on a steal.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I presume you limped UTG specifically for this reason and otherwise you would have just folded. Did it make a difference that you had 33? Seems like any cards would have been just about as good as 33 right there. The only issue I have is that you say he looks like he might want back in the cash game and if that's the case, he's more likely to call even if on a steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that such a bad thing?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Possibly. If you expect him to raise pre-flop after you limp, then chances are you're not going to be able to see a flop cheap enough with 33 to play for set value. So essentially you're just trying to get into a pot with him in order to play some poker and see if you can win it post-flop even if you're behind. If that's the case, it probably doesn't make a difference what cards you have.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:29 PM

That's not fair Lloyd. He'll see a cheap flop much of the time, but the 40% of the time that the guy does this, we have a play ready for him. Also, if this guy is itching to go back to the cash game, he very well may call with NE2, so it would be nice to have a little more than your dick in your hands when you get called.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 PM

With this guy, and this tournament, you can expect most pots to be re-raised pre-flop and multiple callers of those raises. And I don't think it makes a HUGE difference if we have 33 versus some other hand if we limp raise and are called. Yes, it's a slight advantage but I think the move is based more on folding equity and representing a big hand then winning some coin flip.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With this guy, and this tournament, you can expect most pots to be re-raised pre-flop and multiple callers of those raises. And I don't think it makes a HUGE difference if we have 33 versus some other hand if we limp raise and are called. Yes, it's a slight advantage but I think the move is based more on folding equity and representing a big hand then winning some coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I checked to make sure that all the guys who limped had their starting stacks or close to it. There was one guy who only had like 400 left, but he folded preflop (before my raise).
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Well it's all about table dynamics. For me, more often than not, people raise stupid amounts in the 1st round of this tourney. Blinds 25/25 and they'll open for 200, or even push.