Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: LSU/SEC homers

[ QUOTE ]
It shows nothing of the sort. The SEC is down this year. That is a fact. When your number one team is a 10 yard completion away from looking at a game winning field goal against a conference also ran, that is not a defensive struggle, that is a team that simply isn't that good, just above average.

[/ QUOTE ]
LSU is above avg? so a team that beats ranked teams most of the year is just above avg? there is a reason they are ranked as high as they are.

more times than not the world series winner plays more 1 and 2 run baseball games in a season, does this make them just above avg?

regardless the SEC just beats each other up week after week, ranked team vs ranked team. at one point this season they had more ranked teams then any other conference but b/c they beat each other up and they are pretty good up and down there isn't just 2 great teams and the rest terrible **ahem big 12*** (hell i am from texas too).
Old 11-26-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
more times than not the world series winner plays more 1 and 2 run baseball games in a season, does this make them just above avg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, huh? Are you saying that the world champions in baseball usually play CLOSER games than everybody else?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, huh? Are you saying that the world champions in baseball usually play CLOSER games than everybody else?

[/ QUOTE ]
do you not agree that traditionally pitching and defense win championships (i don't know why i am asking you, i know the answer) resulting in closer games? i mean the past winners haven't exactly lit the scoreboard up but have had a great stuff and plus defense (some teams being the exception, i did say "more times than not").
Old 11-26-2005, 03:06 AM

Well, let's see.

2005 White Sox: 54 1-run games, not an unusually high totel. Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa, Washington, Oakland, Texas, LA Angels, Colorado, San Francisco, and San Diego all had at least 49, with Washington clocking in at 61.
2004 Red Sox: 24 one-run games, one of the smallest amounts in the league.
2003 Marlins: 53 one-run games. Doesn't lead the league, around 5 teams have at least 48
2002 Angels: 53 one-run games, leads the league. A few teams at the 48 mark.
2001 DBacks: 48 one-run games.
2000 Yanks: 38 one-run games.
1999 Yanks: 34 one-run games.
1998 Yanks: 32 one-run games.
1997 Marlins: 54
1996 Yanks: 41
1995 Braves: 51
1993 Jays: 45
1992 Jays: 48
1991 Twins: 40
1990 Reds: 39

Looks to me like the average team plays around 40 one-run games.

Later I could run a correlation analysis to see if amount of one-run games correlates with games above .500. I doubt there will be much of an effect.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:15 AM

it looks like i was close actually cause in my head (i didn't look this up) i was thinking of the past winners since AZ and i said "more times than not" b/c i couldn't see how boston could lead in this category which PROVES MY POINT! defensive teams (and in baseball pitching goes with that) its going to be close games (in baseball 1 and 2 run games) and the marlins, dbacks, angels and whitesox all fit this category.

thank you for these numbers jack.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:25 AM

BTW, the SEC and LSU are both definitely overrated. LSU is somewhere around the 10th best team I'd say.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:30 AM

i am dissappointed in you being that its your home state, but then again i don't stick up for UT [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. i guess we will see at BCS Bowl time (maybe, still have to beat GA...yet another tough team in a conference championship that some conferences don't have to play [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).
Old 11-26-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are really going to compare the USC defense of last year to this year? come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw both LSU and USC in person in 2005. USC's defense is just as good, if not better than LSU's. It just doesn't show up in the stats because of the offensive firepower on thier schedule.

If USC played in the SEC, instead of outscoring thier opponents 48-21, it would be more like 40-13.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It shows nothing of the sort. The SEC is down this year. That is a fact. When your number one team is a 10 yard completion away from looking at a game winning field goal against a conference also ran, that is not a defensive struggle, that is a team that simply isn't that good, just above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget about that fourth down miracle in a game in which they were completely dominated at Arizona State.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:18 AM

I agree, but that game has to be put into context (Katrina and all).