Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-21-2005, 08:53 PM

Default AA and I am captain passive

5/10

UTG is a donkey. Not a complete fool but real bad nevertheless. The BB in this hand is good playing TAG. Plays your typical like your typical 2+2er check raise pairs and draws OOP on flops etc. How do you like my line here?

6 handed

UTG limps, I raise red aces, folded to the BB who calls as does UTG.

Flop comes J 5 J rainbow.

checked to me I bet BB and UTG both call.

Turn is a 6 completing the rainbow.

Checked to me and I..... check.

River comes 10

BB bets, UTG folds, I call.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: AA and I am captain passive

If BB is a good player, he won't check/raise the turn with a J, because he wouldn't want to knock out UTG. Plus he would hate to have it checked through.

UTG, on the other hand, since he's a bad player, he would probably slowplay a J and try for a c/r on the turn. Very typical of bad players. You say he's bad, but not how aggresive or passive he is. I'll assume passive. If UTG c/r's the turn, then I think you're in trouble.

Anyway, bet the turn. If BB c/r's, call down. If UTG c/r's, cry.

-- Kevin
Old 11-21-2005, 09:30 PM

Bet that turn and just break some random stuff lying at your desk if you get checkraised.

With the line you took I'm raising this river and breakin something expensive if I get 3 bettet.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:08 PM

checking the turn has got to be a mistake. don't give the fish free cards. don't be afraid to value bet scare cards.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:14 PM

I think you can pretty safely raise this river and fold to a threebet the way you played it. A solid player will put you on a fancy played Jack but make a crying call with most his pairs, not 3bet with a lot of his jacks (fearing you have AJ and have him outkicked), and definitely 3bet you 55/66 (TT probably 3bets here preflop, so I'd discount it significantly).
Old 11-22-2005, 12:43 AM

I have to disagree with most of the other posters. I use this play all the time with a draw-free board. You are way ahead or way behind, and its a great play to induce a bluff.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree with most of the other posters. I use this play all the time with a draw-free board. You are way ahead or way behind, and its a great play to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. If the TAG had a pocket pair or the 5 i would imagine he would check raise to drive out the donkey. The villian already has me smashed or is drawing to two or three outs.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. If the TAG had a pocket pair or the 5 i would imagine he would check raise to drive out the donkey. The villian already has me smashed or is drawing to two or three outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all true but you don't make any more money if you don't raise those thin value bets you induced by checking than you do if you simple bet the whole way... don't outsmart yourself and not exploit the action you went out of your way to induce your opponent to do.