Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: A Post on Variance

The lease on the apartment is up December 31st. Haven't decided yet what I am doing after that. I would come with you though if you wanted and I wasn't there. We would get hooked up at Wynn.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Not a good idea because some players will always be lucky on every hand of every day for the rest of their lives and others will never get one lucky break and everything will always go against them. They will never draw out and all of their sets will get cracked.

I think a more important post would be to help players determine what stars they were born under so they can detemine whether they're destined to a life of good fortune or bad.

For the rest of us ignorant fools who don't believe in astrology or the like I think it would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a good idea because some players will always be lucky on every hand of every day for the rest of their lives and others will never get one lucky break and everything will always go against them. They will never draw out and all of their sets will get cracked.

I think a more important post would be to help players determine what stars they were born under so they can detemine whether they're destined to a life of good fortune or bad.

For the rest of us ignorant fools who don't believe in astrology or the like I think it would be great.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke...I think? It's gotta be...
Old 11-22-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke...I think? It's gotta be...

[/ QUOTE ]

it's pretty obvious that it is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 05:17 PM

So, what would be the some of the concepts? Obviously hand samples won't help much since if you always make good decisions (in theory) then your negative variance would be the result of "bad beats" where the less likely outcome from the time you got your money in turned out to actually occur.

What about these.

Mean win rate and standard deviation in terms of BB/100 and BB/hour. Some interesting observations might come from identifying if super-multi-tabling yields higher or lower variance between players with similar styles and win rates.

Risk of ruin calculations relative to blinds structure, max buy-in, a player's personal variance over some sample size of hands, and total bankroll.

I think some interesting stuff could come from getting 100K hands from a PT database of LAGs with an + win rate and a TAGs with a postitive win rate for the same sample size and compare variance between styles. One would expect a larger variance for the LAG, but maybe a few samples might find no significant difference in variance.

Perhaps some calculations on how many hands at a given level is long enough to conclude with some degree of certainty (say 90%) that a positive or negative BB/100 win rate is due to something other than random variance. Is it 10K? 100K? 1000K? How does the degree of certainty increase as sample size increases with the "game" constant being same on-line site and same blind/buy-in structure.

I'll try to think up some more.