Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-19-2005, 11:44 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default what should i do ?

warning : long boring post about my carpal tunnel syndrome.

i went to the doctor last saturday because of some problems with my right hand/arm, and was nervous that i had carpal tunnel syndrome. after reading about it, it seemed exactly the symptoms i was experiencing.

so after his exam he told me what i already suspected, and that i was at the early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome. i showed him the hand motions i make at work and he wasn't surprised that was likely the cause. (i do color analyzing of photos all day using a 'wheelman' , each finger goes on a dial to adjust color D,R,G,B) and a lot of repetative hand motions with the mouse (a lot of clicking and dragging).

this isn't me, but a picture i just googled to kinda show what i do, although my desk setup isn't the same (probably a lot worse).

ok anyway...
so the doctor said i should first have my work place evaluated to make sure everything is positioned ok etc.
he also told me to take 3 ibuprofen a day, and rest the hand as much as possible.
also to wear a brace (i had already bought one earlier in the week), especially at night. he told me i could still work while wearing the brace (i have read online this can actually make it worse [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ).
he kinda had a "you're too young to worry about this" attitude, and said hopefully it will be better in 2 weeks. i'm 25, but idon't think that makes a difference. it is more common in people over 50, but it is the repetative motions on the computer that put me at risk, not my age.

if it's not better in 2 weeks (now 1 week) i will have to have some nerve test done on my wrist to see how badly the nerve is being pinched. next step of treatment is cortizone injection, if that doesnt' work next option is surgery which from what i understand still doesn't always help.

so i am pretty nervous about this whole thing for many reasons, i need my hands to be normal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ! i really like the idea of being an artist and oil painting in the future so this is extremely scary to me that if i cause permanant damage this will not be possible.

OK, so...
i went to work on monday this week and wrote a letter to my boss explaining the situation, and i gave him some info on carpal tunnel syndrome.

the previous week, i did tell him i thought i might be getting carpal tunnel and would be going to a doctor. and was mostly working left handed (which isn't easy, since i am right handed) to avoid using my right hand. he didn't seem too concerned.

after he read my letter, we sat down to discuss, he did say "so this is serious!" .
he seemed willing to help me through this and get better (obviously he doesn't want to worry about workers compensation etc), and says i am not only a valuable employee but an asset (but i doubt i am much value if i am not able to use my hand and do my current position).
so for now, he is having me train someone else (being as good as me is not an easy thing to learn, cuz i'm pretty much awesome), so they can sit with me through the day as i talk them through it, allowing me to rest my hands. he was going to have me train her soon anyway since we will need someone else for next busy season, but this gives us a head start.

the problem is, this is only part of the day since she has other work to get done. the rest of the day he is fine with the "well you are doing ok with your left hand" way of thinking, and i am using my left hand now.

the situation is frustrating, i can't really take time off of work because i would be creating a huge problem at work since i am needed. not only that but i need the money.
even if i use my left hand for the wheelman, and mouse, i still feel like i end up using my right hand too much at work for someone who should be giving it time to rest and heal. even just the motions of pulling orders from my box etc i am sure are not good to do all day long. i am right handed, i am not ambidextrious. it's hard to stay my full shift so i have been leaving an hour early every day, this is nice at the time but will suck when i start seeing my checks.

also my boss did say he would look into having a physical therapist or someone come in to look at the work station (he wasn't sure who would do such an evaluation, i am not sure either) , haven't heard anything about it since ..

the doctor didn't say i should take time off work. i am feeling concerned that i am making this problem worse by not taking it more seriously. i get the feeling my boss thinks it will magically go away over night since he asks me every morning if it is any better.

do i just keep doing what i am doing and hope it gets better ? if anything i am starting to feel symptoms on my left hand now, but that's probably just me being crazy. although it's not like my left hand is use to being used so much. my right hand is not feeling any better.

i feel like i'm suppose to just suffer through one more week, just to go back to the doctor and have him tell me "since it didn't get better, now you have to take the nerve tests and get cortizone injection." where if i was actually properly resting my hand, i may have avoided this.

i also feel like i'm going to get stuck with the medical bills, i do have insurance through work but this is just annoying to me. i don't know how this workers compensation crap works but it seems like something no one really wants to get involved with and i am not sure it is something i should be getting involved with right now.

ahhhhhhh. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
also i can't really just get another job, since this is all i know. and i doubt i can make more $$ doing anything else. i make $12/hr and probably the best i will ever see since i don't have a degree in anything and hate most normal jobs.

p.s. no comments on this post being too long for someone concerned with their wrist, or die!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] this whole thing makes me really nervous and i needed to vent.

p.p.s. anyone have similar problems that might have suggestions for me that will help ??
Old 11-19-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: what should i do ?

You should marry a pro poker player then quit your job.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:00 PM

Very important for you to address the problem well. The last lecture I heard on this (in 1997) said many people chronically flex their wrists while sleeping, so wearing the braces at night was highly recommended. Not sure if that is current. Your hand mechanics probably can be improved: definitely see an occupational therapist or better get a worksite visit. OT can be prescribed by your doctor but still may not be covered by insurance. Also, thin about what you dooutside of work that may contribute.

Workman's comp may apply btw. If you end up needing surgery, talk to Human Resources at your job.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:07 PM

You could get a job as a stripper until your hand is better, then go back to your old job or do the painting thing.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could get a job as a stripper until your hand is better, then go back to your old job or do the painting thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
but then i'd have to shave my legs.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but then i'd have to shave my legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...we'd have to ask Dominic about the econimic impact of not shaving your legs.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:19 PM

If this is your only chronic medical problem, I seriously think your future is in 3/6 with a nice rakeback deal. Paint cherries by day, stack chips by night, press the young studs of your choice into service massaging your wrists. You'd have to try hard to make less than $12/hr. The most significant disadvantage is the lack of easily available medical insurance.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is your only chronic medical problem, I seriously think your future is in 3/6 with a nice rakeback deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno, is sucking at poker considered a medical problem ? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 12:24 PM

$12/hr is considered good? Even if you suck, you should be able to make a minimum of $20/hr WITHOUT rakeback playing poker.

$12/hr is only 23k, working 40 hours a week. You live off that?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:26 PM

What's that delightful music in my ear, Gorie?

Is that the sound of the heart of a champion, beating loud and proud beneath your glorious rack?

YOU KNOW, I THINK I'D KNOW THAT SOUND ANYWHERE.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND WIN WIN WIN!

PUUUUUUUUUUUZZLE WITH PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS!