Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Law School

I just went to some seminar dealy on various aspects of both applying to and attending Law School. Honestly, it seems like it sucks. To get into the law schools of my choice apparently I need to beat 98% of the country on the LSAT. In addition to that, the speaker stressed b.s strategies for looking like an appealing candidate to the admission staff. Yada yada yada, more bs etc etc.

Life is way too fukin competative; everyone just needs to relax.

So, I'm wondering, to those in Law School or those who went to one, does it suck? Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want? Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

A quote from one of the speakers was something to the extent of, "You'll work very hard, and occasionally you'll have fun." Now, obviously these speaker dudes get off on trying to intimidate people, but I have heard similar rumors previously.

I realize that this is a pretty boring post for OOT, but if a couple of people could share their experience, it'd be a big help to me.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Law School

[ QUOTE ]
Life is way too fukin competative; everyone just needs to relax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooo true. My business school is the same way, everyone needs a 3.9 and to be the president of club fagbag so they can make 45K coming out of college. Who gives a FCUK!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 PM

I went to law school. I got laid a bunch and made a ton of money playing poker.

And at the end of the day I have a nice law degree in my poker room.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 PM

I've said this before, but my sister went to Michigan Law while I was an undergrad there. She partied more than I did.

I got drunk maybe 2-3 times a week.

You do the math.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 PM

If you are thinking so negatively about law school, you really ought to do yourself a favor and not go.

That said, I can't wait to get back to Tulane.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 PM

There are definitely a good number of people like you described in law school, but not everyone or even a majority are like that. There are plenty of cool people; it's easy to avoid/ignore/make fun of the douchebags.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:51 PM

I'm in my first year of law school and I love it. There is a lot of reading to do, but it is really not as hard as everyone says. As far as fun goes, there is plenty of time for that too. I normally go out Thursday Friday Saturday night. If you have any questions about the admissions process, where to apply or any of that stuff, feel free to private message me and I'd be glad to help you out.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are definitely a good number of people like you described in law school, but not everyone or even a majority are like that. There are plenty of cool people; it's easy to avoid/ignore/make fun of the douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my sister told me about this game they played, where they made fun of the overzealous people in class. I think they called them "gunners." Anyways it was sort of like Fantasy Football, where you'd get points every time one of your "players" said something in class. And you got more points for the quality/length of whatever they said. My sister told me one time one of her guys went on a rant for a bit, and THEN to top it off he quoted F-ing Shakespeare. Maaaaad points for that.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:36 PM

I'm currently a 1L.

there's a whole range of people here - from those who party 3-4 nights/week to the typical d-bags you described. I like most of the people, including my profs. there's a lot of work, but I find the material is mostly interesting. probably the worst thing about law school is that it's such a high stress environment. people are always talking about how much reading they have, exams, jobs, money, making law review, etc.

then again, I think a lot of this just comes with the 1L status. the 2Ls all seem to be much more confident and chill and the 3Ls are pretty much on vacation.

if you're looking to enjoy your law school experience, I'd check out UVA - apparently everyone there just has a ball all 3 years.

lastly, admissions can be pretty random. I was accepted to most of my top choices, but was waitlisted at my last choice.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm wondering, to those in Law School or those who went to one, does it suck? Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want? Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 3L, I'll take your questions one at a time: [ QUOTE ]
does it suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first, yeah it pretty much totally sucks. Your first semester you're not going to know what you're doing. Reading cases and briefing them are goinig to take you forever. You're not going to have much tim eto socialize (although I managed to always take 1 day off a week). However, you'll learn how to read cases faster relatively soon, the fear of being called on will wear off, you'll figure out how not to brief cases, you'll finish your first semester, and it will get better. [ QUOTE ]
Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

It pretty much really gets better as you're there. The old adage "Your first year they scare you to death, your second year they work you to death, your third year they bore you to death" is pretty close to the mark. In my third year now, I only actually go to class 2 days a week. The remaining 3 days a week I'm in a clinical at a prosecutor's office where I'm actually trying cases and sending criminals to jail. Its pretty damn fun. [ QUOTE ]
Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

[/ QUOTE ] Nah, the majority of Law Students are alcoholics.