Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-12-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Is this a value bet?

A bet of 30-55 looks good, fold if raised. I think its to weak to just check here against an opponent that you think often will call you with any pair in this spot.

Even if he sometimes will c/r-bluff out you of the pot.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A bet of 30-55 looks good, fold if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm, a weak 1/3 potsize bet against this guy is just asking for trouble, no?
When he calls with a worse hand, he makes a small error, if he gets fancy and bluffs you off your hand, because he senses weakness, you make a huge blunder. Not a good deal.

If I'm betting this river against him, which I wouldn't, I think I need to make it at least 1/2. Maybe 2/3 will even look more suspicious to him.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(Please ignore the weird flop bet.)

[/ QUOTE ] What's with the flop bet?

I bet $70 or so on the river. He won't bluff-raise you, and he sounds like he can look you up with pretty much anything.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Against sane players (when I have my usual sane image), I take my free showdown here. Worse hands fold, better hands don't, etc. But some people will call again with 33 so against them you have to bet. Pretty simple really. ;p
Old 11-12-2005, 06:06 PM

The flop bet was just something weird I felt like doing. Most of those guys were either fold or call guys. They very rarely raised and if they were going to fold to a pot bet, they would often fold even to a min-bet. So I thought there was some chance I would steal the whole pot and most of the time I felt like I would get a cheap shot at my two overs + gut shot.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop bet was just something weird I felt like doing. Most of those guys were either fold or call guys. They very rarely raised and if they were going to fold to a pot bet, they would often fold even to a min-bet. So I thought there was some chance I would steal the whole pot and most of the time I felt like I would get a cheap shot at my two overs + gut shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the type of thinking this forum could use more of.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the thinking in general as I always advocate trying to take a pot down with a well timed, weird looking bet. However, I hate the thinking on that board. I don't see any scenario where you take it down on that flop unless you were against 33 and 55. Generally all you'll do is make a big pot with a bleah hand.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:16 PM

What about the times they have 33 and 55? Or A2 and K4? Or 54 and 32? Or Q2 and Q3?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you kdiding me? I've played every stakes from 1cent/2cent to 5/10NL and I've run into maybe 2 or 3 players TOTAL who are capable of checkraising the river on a bluff bcause the value bet looks weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know they aren't bluffing if you bet and fold to the raise on the river? just curious.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:31 PM

i bet 40.you will get called alot and he will define his hand very well if he has you beat. dont worry about being c/r bluffed until you are regularly seeing it in your game.