Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-11-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Need help with Vegas shows

My wife has been nice enough to allow me to go to Vegas for the past 2 years with my buddies, so now it's time for me to show my thanks. I am taking her next month, and we are staying at the Bellagio, for 4 days. Seeing that the 2 times I went, I played poker for 15 hours a day, every day, I didn't have much time to look into any shows at all. I have heard about some of the more popular ones, but does anyone have any reviews of a show they would recommend? This includes comedy shows, also. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Need help with Vegas shows

Go see Avenue Q at the Wynn. It's a musical starring puppets -- think "Sesame Street" goes X-rated. Hilarious.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Haven't heard about that one. It sounds corny, is it really good?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:35 PM

Penn and teller at the Rio is pretty great...Avenue Q is supossed to be awesome.

Blue Man Group sucks.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:36 PM

I've seen it twice -- once with two college buddies who aren't generally into musicals, and another time with my girlfriend. Everyone loved it.

The songs are catchy and egdy. You'll laugh a lot.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Avenue Q won the Tony award for best New York Broadway musical, against fierce competition. that's when Wynn made the offer to buy it exclusively for vegas, rather than have it go on a nationwide tour (still plays in NYC too).

I thought it was a lot of fun with genuine, unexpected humor.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:47 PM

Call Bellagio's Concierge and find out what kind of seats they can get you for "O". This may be the best show in Vegas.

If they don't have good seats -- check out Mystere at TI -- it's also great. I've heard good things about Ka (MGM) too.

All of these are Cirque du Soleil shows -- and if you haven't seen one they're an experience. Zumanity, another Cirque show is at NYNY, and there are usually tix for this, however, I haven't heard anything about it personally.

Other shows -- Danny Ganz (Mirage) is supposed to be great.

There are the 'broadway shows' Mamma Mia, Avenue Q, We Will Rock You -- personally, I'd either go to NY or wait for a touring company, but if you want a broadway-type show, these are all high quality productions.

Magic -- Penn & Teller have a great stage presence, though Lance Burton is a better magician. Also, if you like magic, some of the afternoon shows are great, and cheaper. (for the house magician at Flamingo, I got the best seats in the house for $25 -- he puts on a great show, though the fact I can't remember his name says something I guess).

Besides that -- I like Blue Men better than a previoius poster.

Otherwise, when you get to Vegas, get one of the tourist books which will literally sprout between your fingers and choose what you like.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:53 PM

I saw Ka at the MGM last month -- it was amazing. Tickets were around $100 apiece, but you won't see a better show. I've seen O (which is great) and another Cirque show in Florida, but Ka was the best.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Cirque du Soleil shows are a sure hit with the wife. I've only seen Mystère myself, but it was actually pretty good - some of the [censored] they do is pretty impressive.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:58 PM

Thanks alot for the replies so far. I think we are leaning towards seeing the show at the Wynn, and possibly the Bellagio or MGM show. I, personally, want to see George Wallace at the Flamingo. Anyone seen his show?