Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Default HU against short stack

How often is this play good? Does anyone pick a different line here? The guy had sat down with just over 25bb, 50 hands later had 0% W$SD and was on his last 3.5bb, and it looks like he'd rather play short than reload. With Ace high, I decide preflop that unless the flop is horrible for me, I'm going to push as hard as he wants to get the money in ASAP.

FTP $15/$30 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed)
Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
7 folds, SB calls, Hero raises, SB calls.

Flop (4sb) : T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB caps, Hero calls.

Turn (6bb) : A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (nice card, but SB has less than 1/2bb left, so it doesn't affect my decision)
SB bets $12 (all-in), Hero calls.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: HU against short stack

I think if he was just stacking off with any two cards he would have started doing so pre-flop.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: HU against short stack

Typically that might be true, but I didn't think that would apply in this case because with about 7 small bets and a $15/$10 blind structure, he has the odds to call with any hand. So it didn't surprise me to see him put in another $5 preflop. After I raise I think it would just look too suspicious for him to start raising back, also I obviously have a hand that I'm interested in, so his fold equity preflop was exactly 0. Furthermore if he had started raising back preflop, I would be committed to the pot based on his stack size, so really his only chance of buying the pot off of me after I raised would be to call and push any flop, hoping that I miss. I think once I raised him PF, I was committing him to risk the rest of his stack or fold preflop, and if he understood that his best chance of winning the hand would be the line he took.