Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Ear infection question

Substantial hearing loss/ringing in my ear since Friday evening. Diagnosed with an ear infection Saturday morning; began antibiotics. Never had one before.

I still can barely hear out of it, and when in a quiet setting I hear ringing like a mutha [censored]. Is it normal for this to go on so long? Should I expect my hearing to return soon? This is really annoying.

FYI if anyone's looking to ambush me you've got a good chance of succeeding if you approach from my right.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Ear infection question

Best advice is simple, really. Just keep taking the antibiotics. Ive had ear infections that lasted a week. If it last longer then go back to the doctor.

Generally, you should feel better within a couple days after starting the medication.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 PM

I used to get ear infections all teh time as a kid, but i never had substantial hearing loss from them. Notthat I can remember at least. I just always had pain, ranging from a dull ache to sharp stabbing pain. The pain lasts a few days after you begin medication.

I'm not a doctor, but anti biotics will not help to reduce pain/ fluid in the ear directly. You should probably take a decongestant as well. Ear infections are the result of fluid bulid up behind th eear drum, this same fluid is what causes the pain, not the infection. The infection gives only the fever/ sickness.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to get ear infections all teh time as a kid, but i never had substantial hearing loss from them. Notthat I can remember at least. I just always had pain, ranging from a dull ache to sharp stabbing pain. The pain lasts a few days after you begin medication.

I'm not a doctor, but anti biotics will not help to reduce pain/ fluid in the ear directly. You should probably take a decongestant as well. Ear infections are the result of fluid bulid up behind th eear drum, this same fluid is what causes the pain, not the infection. The infection gives only the fever/ sickness.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had minor pain, but ibuprofen takes care of that. I have not been taking decongestant. I'll give that a shot.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:33 PM

I would reccomend putting a hot pack over your ear. Make it as hot as you can stand and put it on for as long as you can stand.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 PM

If you have a heating pad, lay your ear on it with med. heat, that will lessen the sense of temporary hearing loss by moving the fulid in your ear.

Also try some motrin, as that will reduce the swelling in your ear, and that will also help with the pain.

Good luck, ear aches suck!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Can you pop your ears?

I've fought ear infections/issues my whole life.

The last time I went to the doctor for an ear infection he said (in addition to the antibiotics)to pop my ears as often as I could (every 30-60 minutes or so) until the hearing started recovering/ringing ceased.

It works.

Probably your best bet for getting the fluid from the infection to move on.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would reccomend putting a hot pack over your ear. Make it as hot as you can stand and put it on for as long as you can stand.

[/ QUOTE ]
YIKES! The tissue on your ear is very sensitive. If you apply medium heat and relax, maybe take a nap, it will help a lot.

The idea of as hot as you can stand is scary unless you are a sick bastard who likes to inflict pain upon yourself instead of making it feel better, but each to his own!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
YIKES! The tissue on your ear is very sensitive. If you apply medium heat and relax, maybe take a nap, it will help a lot.

The idea of as hot as you can stand is scary unless you are a sick bastard who likes to inflict pain upon yourself instead of making it feel better, but each to his own!

[/ QUOTE ]

The tissue being sensitive means hot as you can stand isn't all that hot. I used to get ear infections very frequently and still do. I use one of those neck warming things that have oats or whatever on the inside. It is much hotter when I'm actually using it on my neck than ear but it does the trick.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you pop your ears?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean. I can sort of move my jaw around and sometimes it crackles and pops, but hearing is never restored. Not even temporarily.

[ QUOTE ]
Probably your best bet for getting the fluid from the infection to move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may jam an ice pick in there if this doesn't subside in a day or so.
The silver lining: The longer this goes on, the sweeter it will be when it finally pops and I can hear again. I imagine it will be the greatest moment of my life.