Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: On the duty to improve the world.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I see it that way. In the case of the drowning man type scenario, it seems like people have an unconscious drive to help. Instinct?

[/ QUOTE ]
We're evolved to benefit a common gene pool.

chez
Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 PM

You're obliged, as an individual, to exist; biologically, to survive. (Maybe the rest is some strange mental-jism...)

If in your existence, in your being of yourself, you end up helping others or the world-at-large, so be it. You do it because you want to, not because you HAVE-TO.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I see it that way. In the case of the drowning man type scenario, it seems like people have an unconscious drive to help. Instinct?

[/ QUOTE ]
We're evolved to benefit a common gene pool.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

*nod* There's a very good game theory explanation for altruism, as it is frequently +EV for the species.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DS mentioned this in passing a while back. Did my birth come with some kind of obligation to the rest of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you have the right to be selfish. Just don't expect any help from anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you see someone in need how do you find out if they are selfish so you can decide to help or not, eg a drowning man?

Very cold charity you are offering.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a smart aleck comment. Don't "expect" any help from anyone else. If you aren't willing to give, then you shouldn't expect to receive.

The true charity is the one given to those who can't return the favor.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They're not mutually exclusive. We cooperate and treat others well because we want to, not because we have a duty to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you don't want to, then that's fine. You see no problem with selfishness?
Old 11-06-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're not mutually exclusive. We cooperate and treat others well because we want to, not because we have a duty to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you don't want to, then that's fine. You see no problem with selfishness?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not a question of what I have a problem with. I just don't think duty ethics is right although I can understand why people want it to be right.

and don't underestimate selfishness. Its because our genes are selfish that we care about others so much.

chez
Old 11-06-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and don't underestimate selfishness. Its because our genes are selfish that we care about others so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not particularly true (unless you think everything is defined in our genes and we have no free will). If you're talking about species preservation, a lot of my volunteer work is outside of our species. Some of us just look out into the world and realize how lucky we are and feel an obligation (a want) to give to those less fortunate.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not particularly true (unless you think everything is defined in our genes and we have no free will). If you're talking about species preservation, a lot of my volunteer work is outside of our species. Some of us just look out into the world and realize how lucky we are and feel an obligation (a want) to give to those less fortunate.

[/ QUOTE ]
but you care because humans have evolved to be caring creatures, and that's because it's in the interest of our genes.

It doesn't then mean that you always act in the interests of your genes.

chez
Old 11-06-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you care because humans have evolved to be caring creatures, and that's because it's in the interest of our genes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that is true. If anything, it was environmental for me. I think that is supported by the fact that no one in my family has the same "qualities".
Old 11-06-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that is true. If anything, it was environmental for me. I think that is supported by the fact that no one in my family has the same "qualities".

[/ QUOTE ]
So you do charity work for people/animals/things you don't care about?

chez