Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: I forgot everything I learnt in university.

how are your language lessons going? do you have gf there?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably true any business degree would probably suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have an IT bent / numbers facility, then being a stockbroker isn't really a great choice for a career. You're just a salesman hustling on the phone trying to sell stuff. Very little economic / numerical analysis at all.

You would probably be more interested in investment banking, portfolio research... things like that.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have an IT bent / numbers facility, then being a stockbroker isn't really a great choice for a career. You're just a salesman hustling on the phone trying to sell stuff. Very little economic / numerical analysis at all.

You would probably be more interested in investment banking, portfolio research... things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe OP meant day trader?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - if he actively traded stocks, that would probably be more fulfilling for OP. And might (depending on how and what he traded) involve actual valuation analysis, number crunching etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best degree for a wanabe stock broker would be a finance degree I would think, or econ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not econ. Being a broker is more about sales and marketing than finance actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, brokers are essentially glorified salesmen. I had a sleazeball professor who was a broker by trade. He taught the class at night after work, and we were all pretty sure that he only did it as part of some probation he got for well... being a sleazy broker. Anyway, he was known to trail off into stories about how dumb his customers were and the ways he could be [implied: is] taking advantage of them.

So i guess my point is, it doesn't matter much what you study if you want to be a broker.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:18 PM

It may seem like that, but I think a lot of this information is still present in a non-delcaritve memory store somewhere in your mind. Although it may feel unfamiliar, if you try learning this stuff again, usually you can blast through it with ease because you still have a knowledge/understanding from the first time around. So say you did have to do this stuff, it may take a while to get back to the peak you were at, but to do the basics should come relatively easy, with a brief review of course.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry that's what I meant, I would assume it requires some kind of analytical thought, not neccesarily number crunching but logic and reasoning.