Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Stuck with overcards - Boring hand

I open the table and post on the button while finishing up my 2+2 browsing. A few hands later this hand comes up, and since I was browsing 2+2 instead of paying attention I have absolutely no read on villian.

I'm thinking I need to start checking through these hands on the turn when there are so many overcards my opponent will call with.

Given my situation I was just wondering how many people would call the river against a complete unknown.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero ...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Stuck with overcards - Boring hand

Just fold...no questions asked.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:36 PM

I'd check behind on the turn. I'd like your line better if you had an ace to showdown when he calls you. I think the freecard is optimal. Given that you didn't, you are behind an ace here most of them, I would fold the river. I think weaker overcards give up on the turn.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Really...you would check behind that turn on a blank board HU against a typical PP player? I think we still have fold equity and we might still be good against a weaker K.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM

When he's betting the river, I assume it's because he doesn't want it to get checked through and I fold my king high.

I can't find one single reason to call here, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Definately fold the river. The only thing you can beat is a busted flush draw making a pure bluff.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:57 PM

I'd like to note that the only reason I posted this was because I had AA next hand and he tried to bluff the river with J high.

Also, I was interested in thoughts of checking behind on the turn, but I think the difference between betting/checking against unknown is slim to none.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 PM

no point in betting that turn. flush draws and Ace-high aren't folding and neither are pocket pairs. i'd pick a better board to bluff on.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 PM

I don't mind the turn bet, but one difficulty is that if your opponent does have an ace, he's not folding it, now that he also has a wheel draw.

I would fold the river. Villain could be trying to represent the wheel, but I think he'll actually have that hand most of the time, and it's not the only way you could be beat.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to note that the only reason I posted this was because I had AA next hand and he tried to bluff the river with J high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I guess maybe he thought he learned something during the posted hand.

Or maybe he was in fact bluffing in the posted hand. In any event, if the hands had taken place in the reverse order, I would call the river with my king-high.