Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Party\'s Ferrari Freeroll

party's website says you can take the car or the approx cash equivalent, which they state is 150k

granted, you could probably sell the car on your own for 175k+, the price of taxes/delivery/etc probably make up for that difference

all of this said, are there ppl that are actually willing to take the car instead of $??
Old 10-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Party\'s Ferrari Freeroll

I'd take the money, buy a 2001 Camaro Z06, and use the rest for gas [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Dude, long time no see. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ferrari's keep their value ridiculously well. I'd keep it for a few months before selling it.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:27 PM

For what its worth, Ferraris are terribly expensive to own and operate. Maintenance costs are very significant (>$1000 per 5k mi), as is insurance.

Without reading the rules, you're likely responsible for taxes which must be paid when you register the car (visit your local DoR website to calculate, would be approx $7500 if I were to win the car) as well as paying income tax on the value of the car (the value of the car would need to be claimed as income, and given that you're going to have to title the car to sell it or to drive it then you're going to have a paper trail requiring you to claim the income).

Taking the car over the cash would be very -EV for your typical pokerplayer.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:55 PM

I don't see it anywhere. Link?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 PM

Won't you have a paper trail if you accept the cash also? I've never won big money on-line. Do they file something with the IRS saying that you won?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:07 PM

Yeah, there will be a paper trail, but you'll have $150,000 in cash to pay the taxes with.

If you take the car, what do you have? A nice car and a $7,500 tax bill + $15k a year in insurance costs....
Old 10-26-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what its worth, Ferraris are terribly expensive to own and operate. Maintenance costs are very significant (>$1000 per 5k mi), as is insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try drag racing an LPE twin turbo C5 Corvette [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I know what you're talking about, scheduled oil changes and routine checks can run $3k+

Cash or car....damn tough choice, but I will say there's something to be said about lighting up the tires in a 494hp/496tq drop top ride to shake off the donkeys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM

they might take the car just to show it off like
"yeah i won the Party Poker Ferrari Freeroll, yeah im better than you, what!?"

otherwise, im pretty sure most people wuold take the moneyand use it for something more usefull, especially with the gas prices these days.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:48 PM

It depends on the ferrari and the year... because ferrari's have 2 year waiting lists, 1 year old ferrari's actually sell for higher than sticker. Just another piece of info to keep in mind