Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Safe driving

I had to take this course today about safe driving. It recommends that when a light turns green, don't go right away, take approximately 3 seconds to look around in all directions before moving. Also, if you're coming up on a light that's been green for a while, tap your brakes to alert all the cars that will inevitably be tailgating you because you're driving like a [censored], and slow down because it might turn yellow at any second. I tried out the techniques I learned in this class and a bunch of cars were honking at me. I think this is their way of saying "Thank you for making the roads a safer place." I just thought I'd let everyone in on these important safety tips, so that you too can be overly cautious at the expense of everyone around you.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Safe driving

A couple of years ago I saw two people killed as they accelerated through an intersection after a light went green and were slammed into by that one last car trying to get through the red light. Risk/reward.

The other suggestion is dumb.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM

Hey, they didn't say it was "common sense" driving, just "safe." But maybe if you practice their method(s) of safe driving you'll start a trend. Nah, no way.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

p.s.
Hoo-Rah to the lads at Ft. Rucker
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 PM

A fun driving video to watch LINK
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Safe driving is over-rated and not very fast.

Say no to safe driving.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to take this course today about safe driving. It recommends that when a light turns green, don't go right away, take approximately 3 seconds to look around in all directions before moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you can simply be observant and watch traffic is doing as the lights change, while at the same time not taking off like it's the start of a Formula 1 race when the lights go green.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you're coming up on a light that's been green for a while, tap your brakes to alert all the cars that will inevitably be tailgating you because you're driving like a [censored], and slow down because it might turn yellow at any second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider this moranic. But, maybe there is something I'm missing.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Safe driving is over-rated and not very fast.

Say no to safe driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i appreciate the convienance of driving fast and recklessly.

rj
Old 10-24-2005, 05:00 PM

The first suggestion is necessary for survival in Los Angeles, because cars are alway running red lights. You know what I hate? The people who honk their horns as they're running the light. I guess I should be grateful that they're warning people they're coming, but the whole "Look out, I'm coming through!" aspect of it really frosts my nads.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first suggestion is necessary for survival in Los Angeles, because cars are alway running red lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially at unprotected left-hand turns. This city is full of them and you'll see a half-dozen cars go through the light after it turns red. I've been honked at by the car behind me for not going through after the light after it had already turned red.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to take this course today about safe driving. It recommends that when a light turns green, don't go right away, take approximately 3 seconds to look around in all directions before moving. Also, if you're coming up on a light that's been green for a while, tap your brakes to alert all the cars that will inevitably be tailgating you because you're driving like a [censored], and slow down because it might turn yellow at any second. I tried out the techniques I learned in this class and a bunch of cars were honking at me. I think this is their way of saying "Thank you for making the roads a safer place." I just thought I'd let everyone in on these important safety tips, so that you too can be overly cautious at the expense of everyone around you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three seconds is much too long. I guarantee that if I'm behind you, I will politely tap the horn to wake you up, or lean on it and flip you off, depending on my mood, if you take that long to get your ass moving, but a quick look left and right before pulling away isn't a bad idea. It can save your butt if somebody trying to beat the yellow didn't quite make it. Slowing down for a stale green is silly. Most lights have three seconds of yellow and one second of double red. This gives you plenty of time to clear the intersection, if you aren't stupid about trying to beat it when you actually have room to stop safely. I usually just try to pick a spot where I know I'm committed to going through if it changes.

I think driving too defensively can acutally make things worse. For example, if you follow the common advise to slow down when you see somebody waiting at a stop sign, often the driver at the stop sign will take this as a cue to come out ahead of you. You should certainly be aware that the driver is there, and prepared to brake or swerve if he does domething supid, but being too cautious will often encourage him to do something stupid. The key is to pay attention, don't follow too closely, and try not to put yourself in situations wher an accident is unavoidable.