Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Default 40/80 at the Taj vs. Maniac

Played in an incredible game friday night, Maniac was playing EVERY hand preflop, raising 60% of the time. He was also a pretty poor postflop player, he would sometimes change gears but often at awkward and inappropriate times.

I'm in seat 3, seat 5 is the maniac, seat 1 is a calling station who raises light preflop but settles down alot post and seat 2 is a fairly tight player, however he has shown me his hand often if I'm not involved and I've seen him make some strange plays.

I'm in MP with black Q's.

Seat 1 (station) opens raises UTG, Seat 2 (old man) 3-bets, I think for five seconds and cap, Maniac calls 4 cold, blinds fold, station and old man call. Four to the flop for 17.5 SBs.

FLOP:
A J rag (rainbow)

Station checks, old man bets....

whats my plan?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: 40/80 at the Taj vs. Maniac

Folding seems pretty reasonable to me here. Any read on seat 2? His bet on the A high flop is pretty suspicious. It seems unlikely to be like TT or KQ here. He probably has an A, maybe JJ. And you have a maniac left to act and risk getting squeezed anyway even when ahead. Even if the old man has like KK here getting him to fold is only the beginning of the story.

I can't see any reason why I'd want to put any more money in this pot.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Tough spot. I could see raising instinctually, but I doubt old man is leading into you with a hand you beat. And you have the other two to contend with. You're likely drawing to two outs or runner runner. And it could be raised behind you. I'm finding a fold here despite the pot being quite large. It would be one thing if you could call one bet and close the action, but you can't.

P.S. I think I know who maniac is. I must get down there soon.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. I think I know who maniac is. I must get down there soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

black guy with glasses, stocky build and in his early thirties?

i was playing the 20 game and I saw him over at the 40 with about 15k in front of him, i quickly asked the floor to move me into the game and watched him dump about 20k to me and a few other okay players at the table.

i heard someone at our table remark about how this guy will play 50-100 (though i guess thats gone with the new 40-80 promotions) and even 75-150 if its going at the Taj.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:19 PM

When did the Taj start spreading 40/80? Did they finally get blue chips? Is it straight holdem? How has the Borgata game been holding up since their 40 game isnt the only one in town?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did the Taj start spreading 40/80? Did they finally get blue chips? Is it straight holdem? How has the Borgata game been holding up since their 40 game isnt the only one in town?

[/ QUOTE ]

They opened it up a number of weeks ago. They use $10 blues, the time is only $6 per down. It's just holdem as far as I've seen. I'm not sure how it has affected the Borg 40 game.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the time is only $6 per down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will probably never say this again, but, "I'm jealous of a Taj player."

Commerce charges $4/hand at 40/80 and $11 per half hour at 60/120.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:11 PM

Not only is it $6 a down (all paid in one time pot!), they are also (or at least were) paying $4 per hr in comps that can be used at the restaurants, for rooms, concert tix, etc. Pretty good deal to me and I will be giving them action (not like I wasn't anyway).

Jeff
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they are also (or at least were) paying $4 per hr in comps that can be used at the restaurants, for rooms, concert tix, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, Commerce gives free food. I'm not quite sure if I eat $4/hr. in food, but it's close.

I'm a pig.

"Oink, oink, baby."
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they are also (or at least were) paying $4 per hr in comps that can be used at the restaurants, for rooms, concert tix, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, Commerce gives free food. I'm not quite sure if I eat $4/hr. in food, but it's close.

I'm a pig.

"Oink, oink, baby."

[/ QUOTE ]

you can use it for rooms too