Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-12-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Earrings on small children

My (soon to be ex-)wife is from Mexico. There it is customary for the girls to have their ears pierced before they leave the hospital.

My daughter had hers pierced before she was one month old. I didn't think I would like it, but I did and never had any of those awkward, "Your son is so cute," problems.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 AM

This is done purely for the benefit of the parent, not the kid. Even if the kid wants it, it's because the parent put the idea in them or allowed it to flourish.

I'd feel bad too. For the kid, being turned into your wife's barbie doll, first. And for you, because your wife went behind your back. There's nothing healthy or respectful about that in a relationship, especially as pertains to the most important thing between you, which is not even your love, but your child. That above all things should be off limits for screwy stuff, and should be aground for agreed upon things, not trickery.

You're owed an apology, and your kid is owed the right to grow up without having to be a fashion model or a conformist.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is done purely for the benefit of the parent, not the kid. Even if the kid wants it, it's because the parent put the idea in them or allowed it to flourish.

I'd feel bad too. For the kid, being turned into your wife's barbie doll, first. And for you, because your wife went behind your back. There's nothing healthy or respectful about that in a relationship, especially as pertains to the most important thing between you, which is not even your love, but your child. That above all things should be off limits for screwy stuff, and should be aground for agreed upon things, not trickery.

You're owed an apology, and your kid is owed the right to grow up without having to be a fashion model or a conformist.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha! My rage is justified!
I can now go to bed, remain angry, and feel not a shred of guilt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(In the interest of fairness - my wife is GREAT. This was so atypical of her. Maybe she was drunk.)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 AM

No problem with earrings. Big problem with the wife doing it behind your back.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 AM

I hate crap like this. My baby doesn't need decorations.
My daughter has older sisters so I knew I wouldn't be able to put the kibosh on this forever. I finally relented earlier this year. I was okay with it by then. My daughter is soon to be 7. I embrace the fact that being a girl often means the wearing of rings, bracelets and other trinkets. If she wants anymore than one though she'll have to wait til she can get them herself.
Like the other poster said, I think the biggest problem is the wife.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 AM

I don't have a problem with it. Granted, the fact that your wife did it behind your back if awful, but it's a completely separate issue from the pierced ears themselves.

As a quick aside, for all the people who are saying "It is so terrible that your wife is treating your daughter like a dress up doll," do you have a problem with parents who dress up their kids for church on sunday? Or make them wear nice clothes to school? I think that it is perfectly normal for a parent to inflect their sense of style on their child as it is just one more aspect of the parent passing what they think is right or wrong on to their child. I don't see the difference between a parent wanting the child to have earrings, or wear a shirt and tie to church.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:12 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

(I'm probably risking being banned with this topic. All I ask of [censored] is to consider that I very rarely start a thread, so please go easy on me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why your wife doesn't respect you.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No problem with earrings. Big problem with the wife doing it behind your back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. In my culture, girls have their ears pierced when they are infants.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 AM

im going to pierce my daughters ears when she is young...of course i wont if she doesnt want it...but i see no problems with it
Old 10-12-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im going to pierce my daughters ears when she is young...of course i wont if she doesnt want it...but i see no problems with it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the entire point. I don't have a problem with it if that is what the daughter wants. What I have a problem is doing it at an age where no such desire could exist.