Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:17 PM

Default I dislike AQ example 1

I dont know if I had any reads or not, so lets assume unknown.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.66 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.66 BB
Old 10-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: I dislike AQ example 1

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if I had any reads or not, so lets assume unknown.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.66 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.66 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm folding AQo here without reads, though some might think that's too weak.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

Seems fine to me. Preflop is iffy. Otherwise I play it the same.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:24 PM

And . . . ?

I play this the same way without reads. And how is this really about AQ? The queen could be a king and it'd play the same way.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 PM

This a clear preflop mistake. It is a leak. You should stop REGULARLY 3-betting AQo without a read that tells you this player raises junk; even if they are a semi-loose raiser, it is usually a mistake to play this hand. You are behind too many hands that are raised here. what are you hoping? They have a small pocket pair? KQ? AJ? JJ? 1010?; these are the best possible scenerios for you.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This a clear preflop mistake. It is a leak. You should stop REGULARLY 3-betting AQo without a read that tells you this player raises junk; even if they are a semi-loose raiser, it is usually a mistake to play this hand. You are behind too many hands that are raised here. what are you hoping? They have a small pocket pair? KQ? AJ? JJ? 1010?; these are the best possible scenerios for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want others comments on this
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Why did you reraise an UTG raiser with a weak dominated hand? By doing so it just makes your decisions on later streets that much harder. But since your in the hand, I dont have a problem with how you played it, although you could very well be beat by a pocket pair. I probably would have taken the free card on the turn. Hopefully the river saved you if villain did not have a pocket pair and had AK instead.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:42 PM

I agree. The other post on MP is closer. This one seems a clear fold without any PFR numbers.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want others comments on this

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellite is right that automatically three-betting AQo is a mistake in general. This sort of scenario is the exact sort of one you should be thinking hard about: getting AQ against a raiser from very early position.

But, again, the major thing you need to realize is that pre-flop play is conditional. Without reads, I'd fold here. On the other hand, I voted that I'd three-bet against the MP1 unknown open-raiser. For me, that slight variation in position swings the decision. But, really, the point is that you should be making these decisions based on your knowledge of your opponents and their playing standards. Thinking in terms of "what is my opponent's range likely to be" and "does AQo hold up well against that range" is the best approach. If, for example, you've seen villain raise hands like KJo, ATo, or 55 in the past, I think three-betting his UTG raise would be correct. If villain is a known LAG or, even better, a maniac, failing to three-bet in this situation would be a big error.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, unless proven otherwise I think you are big trouble against a typical 3/6 players UTG opening range.