Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:54 AM

Default I hate these hands...PP 15/30

PP 15/30, ten handed. The button and both blinds have been LAGging it up for an hour. UTG is a decent player, and is very aware of the value of isolation here. He has been running very well.

UTG Raises, and I reraise from UTG +1 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Folded around to UTG who calls.

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Check, I bet, he calls.

Turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Check, I bet, he calls.

River is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets and I call.

Is this a way ahead / way behind situation on the turn? I couldn't do it at the time, but this seems like a good place to check behind on the turn and see the river for one more bet, unless I hit my gutshot.

Fold the river? I called here, largely because I had just gotten done posting a hand where I made a weak fold on the river after similar action and a river donk.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: I hate these hands...PP 15/30

I hate those hands too.

Unless he puts you on AQ, he's value betting the river here.

Or, he suspects he can pick you off QQ with his JJ by making a river bet here.

Tough call.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:11 AM

He knows that with the K on the board, if you've both got AK he's tied. If you've got AK or AQ or AJ he's ahead with 77 or 99. As far as he can tell there's no real draw on the flop, and only a thin one on the turn with your hand range. I guess he's on AK here more than anything else. But he could have QJ and want the extra bet, or maybe 3 if you raise the river, being unwilling to raise the turn and push you off a totally missed hand like AQ.

He could have a random bluff holding like K9 or T7 though if he's tricky. I don't think you can play this any differently without being totally weak; he could have TT or JJ after all and be a donk.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 AM

I believe you must call this, whenever I am heads up against an opponent and he check calls me on the flop and turn and then bets out the river I get very suspicious and I will call him with ace high sometimes. Usually when an opponent takes this line heads up it means a monster or a bluff, All you have right now is a bluff catcher and the pot is laying you good odds to catch this bluff so a call is profitable in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 PM

I think this is a good place to check the turn and call the river. I want to see a showdown with this hand, but I don't want to get pushed off of the best hand. Are you folding to a turn check raise?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good place to check the turn and call the river. I want to see a showdown with this hand, but I don't want to get pushed off of the best hand. Are you folding to a turn check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can safely fold to a turn checkraise as you may have up to 6 outs (2 Q's & 4 J's), add in the fact that its the party 15 and you are getting about the right price to call a checkraise. Then you are faced with an uncomfortable river situation if you miss.

Which is why I think this is a good place to check the turn and call a river bet. If behind, you'd like a free shot at improving, and if you're ahead there aren't a lot of cards that can hurt you.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 PM

These are always difficult situations but the problem with checking behind is that you lose a BB against JJ, TT, 88 who may call you down. Since this player is good, he is less likely to have peeled on the flop, but even so, would taking one off with AQ or AJ be that bad? He might just do it to see what you do on the turn. If you check you are making a FTOP mistake here. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It is true that you are probably not giving him many free outs if you are ahead and also true that you would very much like to NOT be checkraised if he has a K.

Knowing the player is very useful here. As others have pointed out, versus the "default" player it is probably not far from neutral EV to call a CR here.

If this player is not tricky then betting and folding to a CR is the best play.

If he has a bit of chicanery then the small EV you lose from being CR is more than compensated for by the times you get a call with a weaker hand.

I agree it is ugh! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Trevor
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM

I would lean towards checking through the turn here as well. This makes your hand super easy to play on the river, call or bet.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check you are making a FTOP mistake here. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]OMG OMG NOOOOO! NOT A FTOP MISTAKE!
seriously, i dont get the obsession most of this board has with this... maybe i dont know how to play limit.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 PM

you are unlikely to get checkraised on the turn very often. a good player will often be check-calling 1 pair type hands. he also didnt cap preflop which lessons the chance that he is holding AK or TT.