Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Was called \"retarded\" for this hand - 5/10 6 Max

I play it the same.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 PM

I'll be the 19th moron to say "I play it the same" and bump my post count by one like i guess eveyrone else must be doing.

I like the turn lead especially with these guys that seem to invest so much ego into their game. I'm really happy when I spot these opportunities to use others predictable actions to improve my winning chances. I think the big challenge for me is to remember to look for these opportunitied when multi-tabling.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Six handed, and it is called around to the small blind, who folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite part of the whole hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my favorite part.

[ QUOTE ]
raise with A A in the BB. UTG+1 folds

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, can't let this comment go, as you've provided me with a chance to repeat one of my questions: if all 5 players are already in the hand, is there any hand a person shouldn't complete with from the sb?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were in a ring game and by 'accident' called a bet in middle position (say 4th position and 1-3 folded). Then the next 3 players call and then the small blind raises. The BB calls and it is on you to act. Do you call because you have accidently put money in the pot already? You should only call in this situation if your hand has enough equity, and that is determined by how well it will play against a field of opponents.

There are a lot of hands that should be folded from the SB if everyone else has called because to beat 5 opponenets you need a significantly better hand than to beat just a player on the button trying to steal, or when you are heads up with the other blind. The value of many hands is significantly affected by the number of players in the hand.

-k_squared
Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, can't let this comment go, as you've provided me with a chance to repeat one of my questions: if all 5 players are already in the hand, is there any hand a person shouldn't complete with from the sb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got nothing to back this up, but probably low, unsuited, 3+ gappers.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM

I agree with your general sentiment, but two extra considerations make this situation different:

-his implied odds are MUCH better when he is putting in 1/2 or 3/5ths of a small bet preflop than when he is putting in a whole small be

-the range of hands for the raising player is going to impact your equity, though at this point there is usually enough money in the pot to make up for that.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought was that if I bet out on the turn, I a) don't give any free cards to flush draws

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why I think your turn lead is the best line here.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:11 PM

my favorite responce to someone like this is "I hit the wrong button"... if he follows it up with something like... how did you do that or on all your bets you f-ed up, I follow that with... "my mouse is broken"
Old 09-20-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your general sentiment, but two extra considerations make this situation different:

-his implied odds are MUCH better when he is putting in 1/2 or 3/5ths of a small bet preflop than when he is putting in a whole small be

-the range of hands for the raising player is going to impact your equity, though at this point there is usually enough money in the pot to make up for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that implied odds are much better, but we also have to remember that his position is worse!!! And really the illustration is just to show that simply because there is a lot of money in the pot does not mean that it is a good idea to call with any hand. It has to be a hand that is +EV in the given situation (or a situation in which you can create value by outplaying your opponents - but I am confident these situations are very few when facing multiple opponents like this). A random hand does not have enough value against 5 other opponents.

The real question is what types of hands have enough equity against multiple opponents to make them worth playing. I can't imagine EVERY HAND has enough value, while it does make sense to propose that MANY hands have enough value. .

-K_squared
Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses...looks like I can go to sleep tonight knowing that my IQ is still intact.

And for the record, UTG showed me Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and MHWAWPOC. (My Hand Was A Worthless Piece Of Crap).

The very next hand, he called two cold from the BB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and flopped a straight against my set of Queens. Many bets were lost.