Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Paul Phillips method

Let's try an incomplete information hand and see how it goes.

.50/1.00 blinds online.

One limper, cutoff raises to $4, I call from SB, BB calls.

Pot is $16.
Flop is Q,J,6 rainbow
I bet $10, two folds, cutoff raises to $22, I reraise to $34, cutoff calls.
Turn is another J.
I bet $15 into $81 pot, cutoff raises all-in and has me covered. I have $45 left in my stack. What is my minimum calling requirement? ($156 pot) My read on the player is that he a good player. I.e., not wild or tricky.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Paul Phillips method

QQ, JJ, QJ, 66.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:49 PM

5:1 to make this call, i dont understand the turn bet but i dont know your cards..

AJ, KJ, with odds like this your range is pretty big. your pretty much commited with any piece of this

i would have to say i would call with alot larger range than j0wlev would call with .. just b/c pot odds.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Add AA or KK I think...
Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM

You made a weak bet, which will encourage him to bluff, so your calling hand range has to expand to account for this.

I'd say any Queen (with a good kicker), any pair higher than a Queen, and of course any jack.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QQ, JJ, QJ, 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you think the villain has at least ToP 2 on flop, based on that logic, why would you call with 6-6. If you are going to call with 66, why wouldn't you call with a Jack?

Villain range on flop is AQ, set, QJ. K10s, or 109s. I don't see a non tricky reasonable villain reraising with anything less than this. In fact, the likely hood of AQ,K10, or 109 is low.
Your weak bet on the turn may encourage him to go over the top with any of the holdings above, though it is much more likely he has Top2 or better (most likely holding is QJ). Without doing the math I still call with a J or better for rthis amount of money. The only thing I am really comfortable with is QQ, or QJ. With all that being said, I can't think of too many hands I would have played the way the hero did other than maybe QQ or QJ.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:17 PM

I agree with Georgia I would add AA, KK and AQ to my list based on pot odds (though I think they are beat a good portion of the time).
Old 09-15-2005, 03:26 PM

Isn't QJ trying to get as much money in the pot as possible? Is pushing the way to do this?

It looks like hero has 66, which I'd call with. Also QQ, JJ (bien sur!), and QJ. I think villain has AA, KK, or AQ.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:39 PM

At 5:1 pot odds, pretty much any hand you let yourself get this far with makes calling a no-brainer. I don't understand the $15 turn bet followed by just a call with such a short stack at that point. If you think you are good, get it all in on the turn when he raises the $15 bet. If $15 was a blocker/probe bet, then you got your answer and you should fold. Once you call the turn and get 5:1 odds, you should probably call the river with whatever you've got at that point.

So the question becomes, what would have been my minimum requirements to get myself into this situation? Answer: I'd be here, and calling, with QJs (maybe, see my comments below), 66, JJ, and QQ.

I would have reraised preflop with KK or AA in the SB. I would have folded AQ or AJ in the SB to CO's raise. I might have called with AK/JTs/KQs, but then I'd have folded those to the cutoff's raise after my weak leading turn bet. Any pocket pair that I called preflop and missed my set with I'd fold to cutoff's raise on the flop. I'd have folded preflop with anything else. Finally, even those big suited connectors are pretty weak out of position in a raised pot, especially if that pot ends up as a heads-up hand with the preflop raiser. So, I might very well have folded preflop with QJs/KQs/JTs etc. That would then leave only 66, JJ, and QQ as hands I'd be calling with by the river.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM

You already screwed up the flop badly. But you should never fold this here unless you have no pair and not even a 3 out draw.