FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: If you had $25k and needed $100k

put the old band back together

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 PM

Baccarat ... two bets on the banker.

No decisions to make and low house edge.

Of course, the commission means you'll come up a bit short.

I guess betting red/black on a French roulette table which gives you back half your bet on the 0 wouldn't be too bad either.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guys said it was a car accident. But even if it was cancer..if my family member had a half decent job and 25k how could the hospital (or a bank for that matter) not take the 25k and put the rest on some kind of payment plan. This story is weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, I read in the paper where some lady had some cancer where they took out all her white cells or something, all her spleen cells or something, I don't remember, and do something to them, and then inject them back into her.

Anyway, AFTER THEY TOOK OUT HER SPLEEN CELLS, they found out her insurance didn't cover the procedure, AND SO THEY DIDN"T INJECT HER IMMUNE CELLS BACK INTO HER.

The newspaper article was about how her family was suing the hospital. She, of course, died.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guys said it was a car accident. But even if it was cancer..if my family member had a half decent job and 25k how could the hospital (or a bank for that matter) not take the 25k and put the rest on some kind of payment plan. This story is weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, I read in the paper where some lady had some cancer where they took out all her white cells or something, all her spleen cells or something, I don't remember, and do something to them, and then inject them back into her.

Anyway, AFTER THEY TOOK OUT HER SPLEEN CELLS, they found out her insurance didn't cover the procedure, AND SO THEY DIDN"T INJECT HER IMMUNE CELLS BACK INTO HER.

The newspaper article was about how her family was suing the hospital. She, of course, died.

[/ QUOTE ]

This story cannot conceivably be true.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 AM

I agree it's a strange story.

Two things:
[ QUOTE ]
but we were still about $100k short of what we needed to give him the proper care

Please forget for a moment that there are other options besides Vegas (we obviously figured out a way).

[/ QUOTE ]
Our "way" was to pay for the best care. We figured out a way to get the money, and I never meant to imply that my brother was going to be left on the street. But there was a proper and expensive option, and there was a stand and look helplessly option. It wasn't a tough choice.. It was just a matter of how.

The only reason I put in any details was to show that it was a short term proposition, and that $25k meant nothing when the bigger picture was at stake.

Now, back to the options, and thanks for the good responses.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:35 AM

Regarding the whole craps HA with odds debate, at the end of the day, this would be the best way to make money. The reason why is because the big money on the odds would be an even money proposition. Basically, if you bet $100 on pass, you could put 10k behind (with 100X odds) and that 10k would be an even money bet. The problem is that the variance is huge. Whatever number the shooter throws, you are more like to hit a 7 than any other number. So percentage wise, it's the best bet. Results wise, you may want to find a bet where the results themselves are in the form of half wins and half losses, such as baccarat, blackjack, or distant thirdly roulette.

But truthfully, when in a situation where you need to make a lot of money in a short amount of time, we should take a page from every 80's teen movie and throw a bitchin' party (before the parents get back into town, of course).
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 AM

In all honesty I would say that the best way to make 100k in a short period is going to be by illegal means. If my brothers life was on the line you can bet that I am going to be out running drugs or whatever else it takes to get that money. If it was the last day and I was still short I would put on the ski mask and find the rest of it.

Theres no way in hell I would let one of my family members die because of money. I may be in prison for trying but I damn sure wouldnt sit around and hope to win some gamble.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This story cannot conceivably be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to send me some money I'll go down to the library and research it for you. San Diego Union Tribune, circa 1996-1997.

What, next you'll be telling me that it's illegal for insurance companies to cancel your insurance?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If my brothers life was on the line you can bet that I am going to be out running drugs or whatever else it takes to get that money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw a really good movie based on that premise. It was called Half-Baked.

Have you ever eaten Denny's Grand Slam breakfast... on WEED?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:57 AM

half-baked was a great movie!

If we consider illegal activites what would be the fastest way to turn 25k into 100k? I would think running a load of drugs from mexico or canada into the us or maybe going to cuba and smuggling some cuban cigars and then selling them when you get home.