Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-01-2005, 08:53 PM

Default HU with high blinds: push any 2

If you or your opponent have 10bb or less, then icm says u can push any 2 with a loose-ranged opp

even if they are maniacal callers, u can push any 2 if either of u have 3k or less and there are 200/400 or higher blinds

interesting
Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: HU with high blinds: push any 2

I've never tried using ICM to analyze HU situations. What is the stack/blind ratio that it begins to be correct to push any 2? Is it 7.5:1 (3000:400) as in your example or is the ratio even larger? Also, what is the calling range that you define as 'maniacal'?

One other question -- is it pretty well accepted that ICM is an accurate model to base HU decisions? I think my HU game for high-blinds could use a little work, especially now that there's a medium'ish stack situation that often occurs when HU due to the 75/150 level.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:08 PM

Interesting, but really not surprising.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM

yeah, but i doubt most know that it's ANY 2 with ANY size stack when 200/400 level against loose+ players and any 2 even against maniacs 200/400 if either player has 0-3k chips

(8000 chip tournies)
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it pretty well accepted that ICM is an accurate model to base HU decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no difference between chips and ICM HU. So to the extent that you buy that chipEV is valid HU, so is ICM.

eastbay
Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 AM

My anecdotal evidence supports this. About 2 months ago in the 11s I switched up my approach to push top 90% hands HU at 10BB or less stack (for me) and/or >=200/400 blinds. It's super hard to play against someone HU who pushes almost every hand. By the time the villain figures out you are pushing every hand, hero has typically taken t1000+ from villain's stack, not a trivial amount in an 8000 chip game. This has worked well for me through the 33s.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it pretty well accepted that ICM is an accurate model to base HU decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no difference between chips and ICM HU. So to the extent that you buy that chipEV is valid HU, so is ICM.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, yes.

One thing that SnG power tools can't deal with is what to do when you know your opponent already has a certain range of hands and will only call a push with certain hands within his range (it'd be really cool if it did, btw). I'm speaking specifically about the case in which SB completes, or in non-heads up play, when there's a limper. In that case, we expect that villain probably doesn't have 23o, but also that he doesn't have a hand he would've raised with (which is obviously very read-dependent). So, push botting on the button in these spots is correct or at least +EV, but that's not necessarily true on the BB.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:28 PM

u can do that

just program his card range in manually in the textbox...it'd be slow tho, cause u couldn't do 66+, as you don't wanna include high pocket pairs in the calculations...so u'd have to enter his entire range of cards in manually
Old 09-02-2005, 12:29 PM

alternatively, maybe eastbay could add that to a later version? another range for completion hands...have the cards they most likely would have completed the sb with in the range...if we can agree on an accurate range there...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM

"Maniacal" as constituted in SNGPT is too tight for any reasonably skilled player heads-up. That's not to say that you won't run into some people whose calling ranges are that tight (or tighter), but if you really want to reasonably evaluate your heads-up pushes, you likely need to define an even looser calling range.