Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Default The Ashes - 2005

If there is any more compelling sporting contest going on in the planet at the moment tell me what it is?

Even though watching the Aussies getting outclassed by the poms is more than a little painful.

This series has provided some amazing cricket and wonderful theatre.

Can't wait for the 5th test at the oval
Old 08-28-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: The Ashes - 2005

[ QUOTE ]
If there is any more compelling sporting contest going on in the planet at the moment tell me what it is?

Even though watching the Aussies getting outclassed by the poms is more than a little painful.

This series has provided some amazing cricket and wonderful theatre.

Can't wait for the 5th test at the oval

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 AM

There can't be anything better. What other sporting contest can sustain such an intense experience for 4/5 days at a time.

What's the betting that late on Sunday/Monday at the Oval the ashes are still up for grabs.

Hope everyone's fit and game on.

chez
Old 08-29-2005, 11:07 PM

With the grip on the urn slipping away the Aussie hopes will rest on

1. Winning the toss
2. Fit and ready Glenn McGrath
3. A top order batsman stepping up to make a big score.

If England wins the toss I think they will be able to bat Australia out of the match, that said McGrath is the only bowler who is capable of crashing through Englands top order. Brett Lee seems to bowl better when Australia has momentum but never really generates something when the chips are down.

That all said with Shane Warne in your side anything is possible.

He never ceases to amaze me, time and time again its Warne to rescue.

Vaughn's captaincy has been brilliant and it's a big difference between the two teams.

I mean Ponting sending England in at Edgbaston, what a dikhead.

You have the best spin bowler of all time in your side on a wicket which takes more turn as the match goes on and you decide to bat last on it.

Englands bowlers have been very fierce and Flintoff is a superstar.

Whilst we will not give up hope most Aussies are preparing for the likely hood that the ashes are going home for the first time in 16 years.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:58 AM

No idea what Ponting was thinking about when he put England in. I hated Vaughn's decision to enforce the follow on - 2.5 days to go, good batting conditions for oz and Warne to bowl at the death was always asking for trouble. I think we should have batted you out of the game and backed ourselves to bowl you out in 5+ sessions.

Who would have believed that Warne could actually enhance his reputation - what a geezer. Lee has really impressed as well even if he is a bit expensive, its the rest of the bowling that looks weak.

Weather permiting a draw can't be very likely so still all to play for.

chez
Old 08-30-2005, 03:21 AM

I was actually surprised when the commentators were saying Australia would need a lead of 200 - 250 to have a chance.
When oz followed on I was thinking 150 was even money. As it turned out it may well have been enough.

In Vaughn's defense given the way his bowlers were going a win by Innings was very possible or at worse a smallish 50 - 60 chase. 129 is one of those numbers where losing a few early can give the batsman a little bit of a wobble.

Don't get me wrong we would rather eat hot coals then see England regain the ashes, but, it is awesome to see that one of the greatest rivalries in sport is now a fair dinkum contest again.

If England get up we will take our hats off to them and the better team will have won. But we hope that Australia at the very least show up to play from the first ball at the Oval, instead of fighting back from near hopeless positions on day 3 - 4.

If I had to pick one key factor to Englands success I would have to say the negating of Adam Gilchrist.

On several occasions in recent years when the oz top order has collapsed Gilly has been there to pick up the pieces.

He turns 5/150 into 400 - 450 and does it in quick time.

Obviously the England bowlers haven't given him any oppotunity to play himself in and get going. England have done ther homework and have recognised that Gilchrist is the key and they understand that he's suspect early in his innings and is prone to playing terrible shots in his first 25 balls. If you look at any of his big innings he almost always survives one or two sketchy shots early but once he finds the middle he destroys bowling.

I thought the series we lost in India in '03 would be a tough one to top but this is just on a different planet.

In that series there were lulls, there were sessions where the game just ticked on. Here every session is like a round of a boxing match with punches flying.

Brilliant stuff I wish it didn't have to end
Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 AM

Before the tour I thought the key differences between the sides was the huge superiority of Gilchrist over Jones and Warne over Giles and I agree with you that Gilchrist's failure has made a huge difference.

Its been a hot topic of converastion over here. He looks so uncertain at the wicket - loss of form or at nearly 34, is he past it?

What's the view in oz?

chez
Old 08-30-2005, 06:24 PM

I think up until now we have all been waiting expecting that Gilly will eventually unleash a trademark innings.

It just hasn't happened. He is unsure which balls to leave and which balls to play. All the bowlers are really doing is bowling around the wicket outside off stump. Its the fact that they are swinging the ball into his off stump and away to the slips which is causing his uncertainty. We are used to seeing Gilchrist get out because he's playing big shots and he miscues one, oh well that's Gilly. But in this series he's getting himself out playing some awful shots, feeling for the ball bat away from he's body.

I don't think we are ready to right him off just yet as he's never really had this sort of a dry spell in his career.

Hayden and Martyn on the other hand have had more than enough chances. Time to give Hussey and Hodge a go.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:24 AM

Its frightening for us poms that you have players like Hussey, Hodge and Symonds sitting on the sidelines.

What team would you pick with and without McGrath?

chez
Old 08-31-2005, 07:07 PM

It's a real tough one.

If Matthew Hayden can't make runs at The Oval then he's washed up. The pitch will play in a similar fashion to the WACA hard, fast with a lot of bounce. This is taylor made for Hayden's best shots, backfoot square of the wicket on both sides.

So what do you do if you are a selector?

Dump him? or throw down the gauntlet to him, runs or its over Matthew.

On the other hand throwing in a test novice in the biggest match I can remember is asking a lot.

I do think McGrath will play, if he doesn't

Langer
Katich
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hodge
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
Kasprowic
Tait

Kaspa out McGrath in is the likely line up.