Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Default $50-$100, AKo

Game is ok, not great. Both opponents in this hand are unknown, but appear to be tight aggressive players, neither of them has showndown anything out of line.

Party Poker 50/100 Hold'em (10 handed)

Hero is on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Calling 3 cold vs. capping preflop? I already have the button, and I wanted to see what UTG would do...

Flop: (8BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (11BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (17BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: $50-$100, AKo

This is a weird hand. What are you putting the river raiser on?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM

I will cold call preflop as you did here, but this hand illustrates one of the reasons why capping is sometimes better - you will be less likely to see unfettered postflop aggression with marginal hands if you cap it preflop. I think the rest of your post flop play is pretty standard. Although I always find it hard to fold on the river here (being the optimist I am, I put these guys on AK or AQ).

I think UTG has AK or AQ and MP2 has a JJ.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 PM

In the safety of the little white 'Post' box on my browser I say fold the turn. At the table I probably make the crying call, hope we're tied or that UTG has AQo or AhQh AND that the other turn caller was on crack or a flush draw. I would also fold the river.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a weird hand. What are you putting the river raiser on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Well, UTG has represented at least AK here, and MP2 says he can beat that...

MP2's cold call on the turn points to a big draw or a made hand that doesn't want to lose me (i.e. two pair or a set). The draws miss, and he comes to life on the river? Gotta be AJ, or a set, right?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Preflop -- I hate your play!!! Either fold (probably best), or cap to try to knock out UTG.

Aside from failing to put pressure on UTG, I don't like your play because it gives away way too much information. You have a hand you are willing to play for 3 bets but don't want to cap with. This is kinda like shouting out "I HAVE AKo" to those who are paying attention.

Anyway I don't think it does you much good to see what UTG does. If he caps the pot will be big enough that it will be difficult for you to fold anyway.

Flop -- right.

Turn -- yes.

River -- I think your fold is right because they are both representing hands that beat yours. That said, in a pot this big, it's somewhat close.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Aside from failing to put pressure on UTG, I don't like your play because it gives away way too much information. You have a hand you are willing to play for 3 bets but don't want to cap with. This is kinda like shouting out "I HAVE AKo" to those who are paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you haven't played me or my kind. I will routinely call with AA, KK and possibly QQ here. There is very little chance of knocking a tight UTG our of this hand and it also is not likely a cap will change the blinds' mind on what they decide to do. Calling with AA is obvious here as it disguises your hand. Calling with KK is similar and allows you take a very cautious approach if an A hits the flop; calling with QQ is more questionable probably, but I like it, cause I figure I'm beat by an A or K on the flop most of the time.

Thus, cold-calling with AK is fine too sometimes, although for the reason I mentioned above, I'd rather cap it here because it defines my hand which helps be better define my opponents' hands.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop -- I hate your play!!! Either fold (probably best), or cap to try to knock out UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
What?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What?

[/ QUOTE ]what do you mean what? what he said was pretty simple and i agree.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Wow, this IS a tough hand. I like folding to the turn check-raise. Is that too weak?