Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Bad River Fold? Party 0.5/1.

Any comments on my river play in particular? I think I'm behind more often than not. Villian seems reasonably tight and aggressive. He's been showing a lot of winning hands and I've only seen him go to the river with a high card once.

PreFlop: <font color="blue">HERO</font> is BB with <font color="green">8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> <font color="green">6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (10 Players)
1 <font color="darkred">fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Villian <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, 3 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls,

Flop: (4.25 SB) <font color="blue">T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> <font color="black">7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font> <font color="red">9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> (4 Players)
<font color="blue">HERO</font> checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Villian <font color="green">bets</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, UTG+1 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Villian <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, UTG+2 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, Villian calls,

Turn: (9.25 BB) <font color="black">9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font> (2 Players)
<font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="green">bets</font>, Villian calls,

River: (11.25 BB) <font color="green">9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (2 Players)
<font color="blue">HERO</font> checks, Villian <font color="green">bets</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="darkred">folds</font>,

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Results below:
Villian doesn't show.
Outcome: Villian wins 11.25 BB.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Bad River Fold? Party 0.5/1.

Comments on flop play ok too? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Because having flopped the straight here, you should consider whether you really want to face the field with 2 bets cold or if you'd rather lead and let the preflop raiser trap the field.

I'd call the river for sanity here, especially since you expose weakness by checking first and the pot is reasonably big. I suppose this might be a leak though since I don't think A-high is 3-betting your check-raise on the flop without a pair.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:27 PM

call this every time
Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 PM

bet/fold the river IMO.
i like the flop c/r- i think you messed up your pot size count. i think i count ~8SBs, so c/r to fold any gutshots that are getting good odds to see the turn.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Any critiques are more than welcome. Considering the size of the field and the rainbow flop I agree with leading here and only calling a raise, and waiting for the turn to do damage.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Call it.
He only bet because you gave him the green light. You might still be ahead.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 PM

I hadn't considered the C/R for pushing a gutshot out. With the size of this field that's not a bad consideration. The 4.25SB should read 4.25BB. I'll fix that. This must be a bug in the hand converter utility I'm using (PonksSaver).
Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Again, Villian seems pretty solid, he's multitabling, he gets C/R'd in a large field, and the player before him calls two cold. I have to think he either has a set (obviously not since he slows down on the pair'd board) or more likely an overpair. I really can't imagine this player 3-betting AK high and then calling the turn bet. His play's got "I'm trying to protect my JJ" written all over it. I know folding the river in a big pot is generally not a good thing, but am I really ahead the ~9% of the time required to make this a reasonably profitable call? Against a partydonk, definitely. But what's everyone's logic behind thinking that villian has a hand like AK?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:07 PM

You're definitely behind worse than the odds the pot offers you. What can he play so strong on the flop? A straight draw? Overcards with backdoor flush draw? It's plausible he has QJ with a backdoor straight draw. That being said, I'd prefer to bet/fold the river. He'll bluff raise the river nearly 0% of the time with this move. If he just happens to have QJ suited, he'll fold.