Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 PM

Default A Jagoff Playing AJ Off

30 / 60 Party Poker - 10 Handed

MP1 - not tricky, and not too tight. A standard, straight-forward guy who likes to play 27% of his hands and see what happens.

MP3 - Not shy about cold calling, but I haven't seen him make it to the river too often, so I can assume that I will recognize it when he hits a flop.

I raise from UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I do all sorts of things with this hand in this spot...I still don't know which is best. I haven't seen anything and have been playing like a rock, so this felt right. My table image feels tight.

MP1 Cold Calls. MP3 Cold Calls. Three to the flop.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, fully planning to raise. MP1 Bets, MP3 calls, I raise, MP1 reraises, I end up capping, and MP3 was along for the ride.

Turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

What is my best play here? I bet out, because that's what I do with top two after capping the flop.

But after thinking about it, it seems that when first to act out of three, a check might be in order here, in an effort to see the river as cheaply as possible, and allow me to fold if two bets come back to me. I am especially concerned when the third flush card hits on a table of cold callers.

But it feels so weak.

Your thoughts?

Also, a refresher course on the ins and outs of playing AJo UTG wouldn't hurt either. I checked my last 50K hands on PokerTracker, and in a full game, I raise here 39%, limp here 35% and fold here 26%.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: A Jagoff Playing AJ Off

Yeah, that card kind of made everything... you gotta feel MP2 made his hand here with KJh or QJh, maybe KQ. I would probably bet and call one raise, but I'm not comfortable.