Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: How\'s This? Party 30/60.

I'm shocked by how much disparate advice you have gotten on what to me look like two very obvious hands.

Hand 1: I would raise the flop every single time. This is both for value (note that you're giving up 1.5 BB by not raising!) and because you may not get a chance to raise the turn. This flop likely hit nobody, so if the turn is another blank, there's a real chance that the SB will check and it will get checked through all the way to you. I've seen this happen far too many times. So the end result will be that not only did you give up 1.5 BB on the flop, but you also failed to compensate for it on the turn. There are, of course, other reasons to raise the flop. The most important of them is that you likely have the best hand, but there are 8 turn scare cards that would prevent you from raising (even though you might still have the best hand even if one of them comes!)

Hand 2: I am more likely to raise the flop here than play it as you did, but I will frequently mix it up. Your line is perfectly fine. And I have no idea why so many people are afraid to bet the river. Your turn raise was not to isolate or to semibluff or anything like that. It was for value! Yes, you'd have likely been in trouble had MP 3-bet the turn, but he didn't. You almost certainly have the best hand on the river, prompting a very easy river value bet.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting to raise the turn in hand 1 is very very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The answer will largely help me to determine whether I will hire a certain coach.

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM

There are some good thoughts and points in this thread. However, I couldn't help but think that if your having problems/questions on playing overpairs in the hole, how well are you playing everything else?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some good thoughts and points in this thread. However, I couldn't help but think that if your having problems/questions on playing overpairs in the hole, how well are you playing everything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...I dunno, I feel like I'm already playing my suited 3-gappers superbly. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I still have a lot of room for improvement, these were just a couple of hands I had questions on. Most of your profit comes from the big pairs anyway, right, so isn't it a good idea to learn how to play them properly?

To other posters, regarding why I didn't jam the flop in Hand#1:

I didn't think it would protect my hand at all since everybody had already called one bet, and if the SB has a better hand I will get 3-bet. I may also minimize damage if the turn comes a bad card like an A or K. If I am ahead I can charge them two big bets when my equity improves on a safe turn card.

With Hand#2 this reasoning doesn't really apply since no overcards can fall on the turn, and I'm not worried about bigger pairs so I probably should have jammed the flop here, but I was mixing up my play a bit by waiting for the turn.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waiting to raise the turn in hand 1 is very very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The answer will largely help me to determine whether I will hire a certain coach.

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with nightswitch because of 2 reasons, 1. i think it's more likely than him that we get the turn raise (i think AK that capped-lead leads again) and 2. more importantly, nightswitch doesn't assign any value to the times we don't raise the turn because we don't want to raise the turn, if an ace comes off we just got out nicely. Other than that, i think this way we max our wins and min our losses and what Fianchetto's said above.

I've heard a lot of good things about nightswitch's coaching though.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:54 PM

What about waiting untill the river to raise hand 2. You get a very easily fold if 3 bet on the river but you don't if 3 bet on the turn since i'd be wondering about an aggro with KJ.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about waiting untill the river to raise hand 2. You get a very easily fold if 3 bet on the river but you don't if 3 bet on the turn since i'd be wondering about an aggro with KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting line that I had not considered.

I think I'd be more inclined to use it when I'm heads up and/or with a less coordinated board since here I'm a little concerned about a gutshot or 5 outer getting to draw cheaply in a good sized pot.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting line that I had not considered.

I think I'd be more inclined to use it when I'm heads up and/or with a less coordinated board since here I'm a little concerned about a gutshot or 5 outer getting to draw cheaply in a good sized pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], forgot it was 3 way. Yea, i like your line.