Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 PM

Default first NL game in 4 minutes...help!

Hi

I play limit hold em, still in the .5/1, 1/2 venue.
First tournament, first NL game of any kind (PokerStars FPP WCOOP buy-in) begins in four minutes.

In one sentence, how should I adjust my game from limit?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: first NL game in 4 minutes...help!

[ QUOTE ]
In one sentence, how should I adjust my game from limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make larger bets.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 PM

Push all your chips in every hand. Since you are playing online, buy a set so that you can simulate shoving them all in before you drag the little tab over to the far right and hit the BET button. Also wear sunglasses and a Party hat so people can't get reads on you. This post was more than one sentence but I have a wealth of knowledge.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:43 PM

I could tell you, but you've already started and I don't want to coach you while you are playing.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:52 PM

Some extreme basics (for NL holdem multi-table tournaments):

- Play tight during the first levels of play. The blinds are low compared to your stack, so there is no need to panic, there's plenty of time to wait for good hands to acquire a bigger stack. Try to see flops with pocket pairs if it's somewhat cheap, especially in multi-way pots.

- If you find a good hand you choose to raise first in with, typically raise to 3-4 times the amount of the big blind.

- If you're the preflop raiser and get called in one spot, be very inclined to bet ~50-70% of the pot size on the flop even if it does not hit you. This is assuming you're playing against a player who might/will fold a lot if he does not hit the flop. Pay as much attention as you can to the players on your table.

- If you find yourself with a small stack compared to the size of the big blind (which often happens after an hour or two when the blinds have gone up), it's time to push all-in whenever you have a nice situation to do so. Basically, you want to have as few players as possible left to act (meaning the button or sb are the best positions from which to steal), and you want a hand with high card strength (meaning you want an ace, or two big cards), or a pocket pair. For example if you have 4000 chips with 500/1000 blinds, you're on the button and everyone has folded, hands like 2-2 or A-2o are excellent hands to move all-in with, hopefully picking up the blinds and possibly doubling up with if you're called.

Good luck.