Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Hachem\'s key hand

I got this from a close personal friend of Joes and I'm not sure of the specific details or whether this hand was captured by ESPN.
According to the source this hand took place with about 30 players left in the tournament. Unsure about the specifics like stack sizes and blinds but anyway.
Joe picks up AA and makes a standard raise from middle position one player flat calls(not sure of his position)
flop rag,9,10.
Hachem bets out, opponent raises, Hachem reraises, opponent moves all in. I believe at this point Hachem has about half his stack in the middle.
Hachem gets up walk around and takes about 5 minutes, then eventually folds. Opponent shows pocket nines for the set.

Sorry about the lack of detail.
Pretty big laydown I reckon
Old 07-25-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Hachem\'s key hand

23 Players left at this point - from CardPlayer.com:

"Hand 35 - There is a dead button in seat 2, Hachem raises, and Dannenmann calls. The flop comes 10d-9s-5d, Dannenmann bets, Hachem raises to $1,000,000, and Dannenmann reraises all in. (It's uncertain whether or no Dannenmann bet out initially, but the million-dollar bet and the all in are clear.)

Hachem asks for a count of Dannenmann chips, and then spends some time studying his opponent. He even stands up at one point, taking a drink from his bottle of water. He says something to Dannenmann, who then carefully rechecks his cards, and then wipes his brow as if to say, "Phew." Hachem has a small laugh at this, and the crowd giggles as well. Dannenmann is having some fun with him, putting on his sunglasses as if he is deathly serious about hiding any tells, and then laughing and taking them off. Hachem is still standing, studying his own chips as he contemplates the call. Dannenmann says something else to him, and they exchange a few more words.

Somebody at the table calls the clock, and Tournament Director Johnny Grooms says that he now has one minute to act on his hand. About ten seconds later, Hachem folds his cards, and Dannenmann asks if Hachem would like to see what he had. Hachem says he would, and Dannenmann shows pocket nines (9c-9h) for middle set.

It was a $2.5 million pot, and Dannenmann should be among the chip leaders at this point."
Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM

WOW! Can't wait to see that one on TV.

That was "THE HAND". Great laydown.

CRITICAL mistake by Dannenmann, IMO. If he throws his hand into the muck after Hachem folds.. Hachem might not win the tournament, re: Tilt.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:46 AM

and laughing and smiling in that situation only gets me further away from my AA.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and laughing and smiling in that situation only gets me further away from my AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. In that type of pressure packed situation, it would take one hell of an actor to pull the joking around schtick with a bluff. Incredibly dumb thing to do for Dannenmann.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 PM

From what I read, he was joking around (and drinking) throughout the tournament.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. In that type of pressure packed situation, it would take one hell of an actor to pull the joking around schtick with a bluff. Incredibly dumb thing to do for Dannenmann.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if it was that dumb. I honestly think that's just how he is. He acted like that throughout the final table, regardless of whether he had an amazing hand or not. I really just think he was having a hell of a lot of fun playing in the WSOP.

He obviously did something right to come in 2nd.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything that I have seen or read about Dannenmann is that he is pure amateur. Apparently he's a drinker, too.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything that I have seen or read about Dannenmann is that he was having the time of his life!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post. Poker is NOT life. Lighten up and have some fun.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Laughing can be a sign of nervousness, and it can be faked. It's hard to make a judgement based on that.