Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Roundabouts

I find them extremely frustrating, anyone else? There was one where I used to live (Syracuse) and now they're building one in my new town (Binghamton).

Are they more efficient than traffic lights? i doubt they're safer. while im in one i feel like im in a real life game of mario-kart.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Roundabouts

One? lol

There is one like every 100 feet in London. Just get used to them, they're no big deal.

They might be more efficient than traffic lights. I rarely see long traffic jams before roundabouts but frequently do before traffic lights, that might be to do with where they choose to build roundabouts/lights though. Also if they're not common, people will probably be hesitant and [censored] up lane changes and do other dangerous things, so lights could well be quicker.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:49 PM

One benefit is that serious injuries almost never happens since the angle difference between the cars is relatively low.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:56 PM

They are very efficient when it comes to merging traffic from multiple roads. Obviuosly a traffic light will only work for four directions, with a roundabout you can fit five, six or more directions in there.

Swede
Old 07-10-2005, 03:57 PM

I think of them about the same as I think of driving itself. It's a quick/easy (debatable) way of getting around, but people are always going to find a way to screw it up. Always a matter of anticipating the erratic.

Do people in Europe handle those giant ones any better? maybe there aren't that many that are eight lanes across, I don't know.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:58 PM

I have to go thru a small one everday on the way to school. Most ppl dont know what yeild means, so it becomes a major pain in the azz. Its in a spot where three roads meet from odd angles
Old 07-10-2005, 03:59 PM

I think it would be nice if there were uniform rules for navigating traffic circles. Some places, you yield to traffic in the circle and some you yield to traffic entering the circle. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 04:00 PM

I think we should have more of them. Especially in parts where they put in a four way stop to slow down traffic and people ignore it. While you don't have to stop the roundabout makes you slow down.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:06 PM

My first experience with these was in Bermuda driving a scooter and being very drunk. Very frightening.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do people in Europe handle those giant ones any better? maybe there aren't that many that are eight lanes across, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously I don't know how people in the US handle them, you get a few idiots here but generally people are ok. I'm only talking about London though, I have pretty much no experience driving anywhere else.