Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Question for Fossilman

This is in regards to the EPT Monaco event which just had its first episode aired yesterday.

On it, it shows your early play in the tourney before you were knocked out, and at the feature table you doubled up with JJ against some poor blokes AA.

If i remember correctly the blinds were still 25-50, or at the very least were still small. You had an early raiser make it a couple hundred to go, and you went over the top all in for at least 4K, probably more, from MP with the hooks.

Note, the figures are innacurate as they didnt reveal any of them on screen, but this is what i remember and could figure out at the time (apologies if they are off slightly).

What im wondering, is why did you overbet it so much with your preflop push?

Best i can figure is you read the early raiser had overcards, and would call your push putting you as fave to double up at this point - with your only fear being a run into a monster late on.

Or, you were much shorter stacked than the show indicated.

I havent seen you play live, but ive played with you briefly online, and i know enough from your reputation that you are aggressive, but not that sort of aggressive.

Thanks for your answer, and GL in defending your title next month.

Phill
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Question for Fossilman

I had become very short-stacked by the time that hand occurred, and as I recall, by the time I made my raise, if I had made a pot-sized raise it would have been a large fraction of my stack anyway.

I didn't feel too bad about the suckout, since it's not as if I misread the guy. He had not yet acted on his hand when I made my all-in move. In fact, I don't even think he had looked at his hand yet. So, it was just my bad luck to run into a hidden monster, and then my good luck to suck out on him.

I made a similar move later against Tony G when he made a raise to T500 (blinds were at 100,200), and I moved all-in with KK, being almost positive he would call. I had KK, and he did call with TT. T on the flop knocked me out of that event. I didn't feel too bad about that one either, just disappointed.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 06-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Question for Fossilman

Thanks for the answer.

It didnt show how you got knocked out, but it did show that you did. Unlucky, but them are the cuts in tourney poker.

Phill