Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 11:31 AM

Default standard against this type of opponent

I seem to be getting killed here because I can't make laydowns like this. Im finding here at 2/4, the raises mean business. Still though, can I really lay this down?

Villain is 35%/20%/3.29 after 50 hands

person in between is calling station of the year
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 06-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: standard against this type of opponent

Looks standard to me.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:34 AM

Folding at any point here would be developmentally disabled.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM

I bet out the flop straight out.. why go for the CR 3 handed in a 6sb pot?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because CO is going to bet no matter what when checked too? If he has a K he's going to raise your bet. If he doesn't have a King he's not going to raise. More often than not he won't have AK or KQ. So in the long run you make more by check/raising than by betting out because if he has no King he will just fold the flop. But if you check/raise you will win at least 1 SB and almost certainly two after his flop (it's just one more SB auto call.) You will also make more when he has QJ, KT,99,88 JJ,etc. Basically you end up making more from a wider range of hands than you lose when he has KQ,AK,AA,KK.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because CO is going to bet no matter what when checked too? If he has a K he's going to raise your bet. If he doesn't have a King he's not going to raise. More often than not he won't have AK or KQ. So in the long run you make more by check/raising than by betting out because if he has no King he will just fold the flop. But if you check/raise you will win at least 1 SB and almost certainly two after his flop (it's just one more SB auto call.) You will also make more when he has QJ, KT,99,88 JJ,etc. Basically you end up making more from a wider range of hands than you lose when he has KQ,AK,AA,KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

CO is a total lag, if you bet into him he will raise you regardless of whether or not he has a K. No?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CO is a total lag, if you bet into him he will raise you regardless of whether or not he has a K. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

3.29 is far from being a postflop LAG. I think most people around here have similar, if not slightly higher numbers. it is only over 50 hands and the numbers can be a bit wonky still, but I'd want some player reads before I called him a LAG.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 PM

this doesn't change the fact that he will likely call or raise your straight out bet... I don't know if there is clear value from c/ri'ing am I completely wrong?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:25 PM

His postflop AF is fine, but he is playing twice as many hands as a TAG, yet betting and raising the same fraction postflop. This means that he must be betting and raising with worse hands.

Not saying he's a nut, but I would bet expecting to get raised 90%+ of the time
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this doesn't change the fact that he will likely call or raise your straight out bet... I don't know if there is clear value from c/ri'ing am I completely wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

because CO open-raised, I feel it's pretty likely I have the best hand here. his hand range is pretty wide. therefore, I want to get a lot of money in the pot for myself. if I bet and CO raises, SB is likely to fold. however, if I c/r, I can trap SB and hopefully get him to pay two, but one at a time. doesn't always work, but often enough to make it a good play I think.