Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 AM

Default A correct slowplay

There have been more than a few ill-advised slowplay hands posted in the last week, so I wanted to remind everyone that for a slowplay to be correct, the pot must be small, your hand must be very strong, and it must be more likely that a cheap card will improve your opponent to a second best hand rather than a best hand.

Villian here had classic TAG stats and played about as well post flop as you can expect at Party 2/4, which is why I simply called the reraise preflop. Capping heads up would just give away far too much information about my hand. Post flop is self explanatory. I was hoping Villian would have either a straight draw or a flush draw and hit it, although the way it played out is just as good, if not better. I just wish Villian played a bit looser or decided to bet out rather than CR the river so I could have picked up an extra bet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Qc Qh (full house, queens full of tens).
Hero has As Ad (full house, aces full of tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 14.25 BB. </font>
Old 06-14-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: A correct slowplay

I like it.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 AM

Nice, anyone else feel villian in this hand should've capped the river? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 01:25 AM

Villian probably should have capped, although if Villian had superhuman card reading skills a call might become correct. A slow played AA or TT are the only hands that I win with, and considering the range of hands that I would play similarly this should be a cap, but it would be close. Most people (including myself unfortunately) would probably cap without even thinking. Villian is either seeing monsters and playing weak here or picked up an excellent read on me. Villian is a Party 2/4 regular multitabler who I've played with on many occassions, so I'd have to lean towards the latter, although I have a hard time believing that anyone who plays Party 2/4 could be good enough to narrow down my hand that well. I think what most likely happened was a combination of both. Villian probably realized I would have raised the flop with AK or AQ, and realized the raise on the rag turn meant I was slowplaying something. Although I still have AT enough times here to make capping marginally profitable, the thought of AA was probably running through Villian's mind at the time which swung the decision to a call. That's my theory anyways.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 AM

I'm very surprised the villian called the turn raise. There's really no hand that calls the flop and raises the turn that he beats. If you want to slowplay because you think he might fold, I'd probably go ahead and wait until the river.

Oh, and you river well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]