Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 AM

Default JJ stays overpair, but lot of action

This is the first hand at this table for everyone involved in the hand, so we're all posters and I have zero reads. Is my overpair still good, or should I have slowed down?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2. MP3 posts a blind of $2. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
Old 05-20-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: JJ stays overpair, but lot of action

Dont post in UTG+2.
3-bet the flop.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:29 AM

this post isn't exactly specific for your hand but more of an overall concern I have...

what is everybody's obsession with the stop and go play? i myself simply do not understand when this play would be profitable except in cases with multiple opponenets and draw happy boards... somebody please post a hand where a stop and go is appropriate.

i think this hand illustrates a situation where raising the flop is much stronger. if you raise the flop and lead out on the turn, you can be more confident that mp3 probably isnt playing games with you if he shows more aggression.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:37 AM

This is a good time
Old 05-20-2005, 02:54 AM

i think the fact that the hand posted is so hand specific (you have AA and the PFR is a good player... not your typical party donk) is further proof that stop and go's should be used very sparingly. could you comment on the play and when/why it should be employed?

on the specific hand you posted, am I right to say that the reason hero played it that way was to disguise his hand against somebody who likely has JJ-KK? and also to keep the middle guy in...
Old 05-20-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is everybody's obsession with the stop and go play? i myself simply do not understand when this play would be profitable...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do this when your opponent has a strong hand but you have an even stronger one and want to go for 4 BB on the turn and river instead of 3. The most common example of this is flopping a set against a tight pf 3-bettor. The stop and go keeps AK from checking behind while maxing value against an overpair.

You can also stop and go when you have a weak made hand that you still suspect might be good because you believe your opponent may be raising the flop on a draw. If the turn is a blank, you often become the favorite and want to bet to prevent free cards. Now, there aren't that many players that actually take the free card after making the free card play, online at least, but some do, and against them, the stop and go is a nice play.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 05-20-2005, 03:50 AM

Jake, a stop-n-go is good when you have a strong hand against an aggrezzive player that you'd like to 3-bet on the turn. Your bet on a blank card will look like bullshit and they will raise you.

Also, if you suspect someone is trying for a free card, you can use it.

Edit: I for some reason spelled aggrezzive like this, and I was gonna change it, but it looks rad so I'm leaving it.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:24 AM

3 Bet the flop lead the turn. I would then slowdown on the turn if he raises us again then (although some would 3 bet him then as well).