Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Interesting river play

This is a hand from a 5/10 game on Full Tilt. The seat to my right was a highlighted professional player whom I love to play with because he attracts a lot of fish to his table. I realize my preflop reraise is very questionable, but as I said this guy who open raised in MP is a professional who understands he can raise in that situation with marginal hands. Typically when he is 3 bet he's able to let a hand go postflop if he doesn't connect, so I saw that as a possibility, plus I may connect well with the flop myself, and in the end I might have folded here but I decided this was a good time to mix up my play. Obviously what happened afterwards is not what I was looking for. But after that, play was fairly automatic until the river, which is the reason for posting this. Obviously my bet on the end was poor. The only hand I put him on that I could beat and might call me on the end was QQ, and although that was a possibility especially considering his aggression and then his check on the end when the K came, I realize it was not likely enough to warrant a value bet. My bet was poor and made without thinking, I have no excuses for it, but the reason I post is because of the professional players check on the end. Given the action so far it must be clear to him that it's very likely he has the best hand, and there looks to be a few second best hands out there who would call a value bet. It seems strange to check here, given that I had shown no post flop aggression thus far, he couldn't have really expected a bet out of me, and he wasn't looking to check raise. I cant see many reasons why a check-call approach would be best here, and I would have probably value bet it without thinking. Of course, he is a pro and I am not, so someone help me out here, what could he have been thinking to decide to check call on the end here?

Full Tilt Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 :#A500AF(The Pro)/ raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 :#A500AF(The Pro)/ caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">The Pro bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">The Pro bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

River: (13 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, The Pro checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, The Pro calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Results below:
The Pro has As Ah (one pair, aces).
MP3 has Ks Qs (one pair, kings).
Outcome: The Pro wins 15 BB.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Interesting river play

Fish are suck-out kings. With two opponents, that was a really crappy river card for him. If either of you had a backdoor club flush draw and decided to see a turn, you win. Also, we've got two paint cards on the board, making two pair far more likely. Someone sticking around with KJ hoping TP2K is good just made two pair. Finally, he might simply have been trying to induce a bluff or value bet from someone with a weaker hand than his own.

My guess is that he decided this river was worth one but not two, and he didn't want to get raised and have to pony up a second bet with just one overpair.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:55 AM

Not so sure i bet that river, before I saw the results...pro has a strong hand hes going to call a showdown with, u dont really have to worry about SB, if he has something he will call or raise, if not he will fold...so if u check u save a bet, without the flush hitting I pretty much figured u were beat the whole way and that was your only out (by the time the turn came around) -- if u didnt have a flush draw I fold the turn...

Preflop 3-bet not so good. I like a call and flop raise, going from there.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:11 AM

Super Pro?