Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Gotta love action like this right?

I had both hands pegged but had to call the river in a pot like that.

Hundreds of hands worth of profit gone in an instant.

This is the first hand I've posted, and it just happened, I absolutely love it when crap like this happens...not to mention I got him back a few hands later when I had a set and he had top two pair.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, UTG calls.

River: (26.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 32.50 BB
Old 04-27-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Gotta love action like this right?

After you get 3 bet on the turn, I think calling down makes a lot of sense. You're played your hand extremely strong so far and he is still coming back at you, he can beat 1 pair too often for you to be capping, even with the third guy in there that appears to be lost.

On the river, I'm folding without a second though. There are 2 one card straights as well as a backdoor flush draw. That river raise, in a 3 way pot, after all that action, will always be better than 1 pair. That is an easy fold w/o a read.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:03 AM

^^yep sums it up pretty nicely
Old 04-27-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After you get 3 bet on the turn, I think calling down makes a lot of sense. You're played your hand extremely strong so far and he is still coming back at you, he can beat 1 pair too often for you to be capping, even with the third guy in there that appears to be lost.

On the river, I'm folding without a second though. There are 2 one card straights as well as a backdoor flush draw. That river raise, in a 3 way pot, after all that action, will always be better than 1 pair. That is an easy fold w/o a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG had been pretty aggressive on all streets up to that point. He hadn't 3-bet preflop before so I naturally put his range of hands on AA-QQ. MP2 was a mystery. Cold called 3 bets preflop. Then called two bets on the flop twice at which point he is getting great odds on just about any kind of draw. I ruled out a backdoor flush, that just didn't make sense to me. I put him on JT after raising the river, and there is no way I do not call 1 BB in a 26.5 BB pot on the river. I can't see folding there. I couldn't say for 96% sure that i was totally beat in that case.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there is no way I do not call 1 BB in a 26.5 BB pot on the river. I can't see folding there. I couldn't say for 96% sure that i was totally beat in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this is not the sort of thing that will turn a winning player into a loser, but every decision you make has some EV that will in turn have some effect on your win rate. There is really no way that you're good on the river unless the guy is a raging maniac. There is a 4 liner (Two one-card straights, so pretty much the same), a BD flush and a slew of likely 2 pair hands. One pair is not good often enough to call the river raise, I promise.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is no way I do not call 1 BB in a 26.5 BB pot on the river. I can't see folding there. I couldn't say for 96% sure that i was totally beat in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this is not the sort of thing that will turn a winning player into a loser, but every decision you make has some EV that will in turn have some effect on your win rate. There is really no way that you're good on the river unless the guy is a raging maniac. There is a 4 liner (Two one-card straights, so pretty much the same), a BD flush and a slew of likely 2 pair hands. One pair is not good often enough to call the river raise, I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand, I just had trouble letting go in a pot that large...
Old 04-27-2005, 03:31 AM

biggest thing is that the river raise has been coldcalled

if it was HU .. you could prob call the raise profitably or at least it wouldn't be too bad

since it has been called, you have to beat both which is happening 0% of the time
Old 04-27-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the river, I'm folding without a second though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably get a flaming for this... but the pot is just too big to fold this away... I gotta check/call the river.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:42 AM

There is no way in hell we're folding this river with the odds we're getting.

Call the turn 3-bet, check/call the river.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:42 AM

Against unknown:
Call 3-bet on turn.
Check/Call river.