Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 04-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Default SH 200/400 too aggresive?

I guess this is all basic stuff but i play mostly no limit and i feel i make too many mistakes at limit play. One of the mistakes is that i am too aggresive at times when i should back off and only call down or maybe fold. This is a 6handed online table. Main villain is (very) good solid aggresive opponent. I haven't played much limit holdem so i dont know very much about his play.

I get KK UTG and raise 400$

button coldcalls and so does BB. I have seen button coldcall A2s and limp suited connectors although he is no idiot, he raise most of the hands he is going to play, BB most likely hand is something like KJo Q9s PP 22-77 anything better than that and he is probably raising me. I dont know his play so well but i think more likely than not he is raising me with PP 99 -AA and two good broadway cards especially with Button in there with a halfdecent hand which he is going to play straightforwardly postflop.

Flop: 6J8 with two spades. BB checks i bet button coldcalls and villain checkraises me. I threebet and he calls.

Turn: 6J8J still two spades. Villain bets i raise and he reraise and i call.

river: 6J8JJ and the action goes bet-raise-reraise and i call.
7.5k pot and of course he held the case J with JTo.

On the turn is it okay to raise him at all? i mean there are tons of draw out there and made hands he could be playing aggresively,so a raise seems in order and a call when he raises me although i am beggining to dislike my hand more and more now.

On the river i think i should only call his bet. He has shown so much strength that he must hold the case jack, and i doubt he would play a missed draw this aggresively on the river after all this action. also a made hand such as a PP lower than KK seems quite unlikely and even if he held that he might lay it down. So i think the river raise costed me 2 big bets [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . If i do choose to raise the river and then he reraise, is it ok to make a crying call or is is a clear fold? it am leaning towards clear fold as i dont see him reraising the river with ANY hands that beat me.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: SH 200/400 too aggresive?

If you don't play a lot of limit, maybe you should not be playing 200-400. You played this hand way too aggressively on the turn and river.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Yea, you went off for too much here. The BB's play strongly indicates a jack. He checkraises the flop, you reraise, yet he still leads the turn. It seems like he is going for 3 bets with a jack and/or doesn't want to give you a free card if you have spades. I might just call here, but I prob raise the river just in case he flopped a set and it got counterfeited on the end. Obviously pay off a 3-bet. I don't think you need to put in 3 bets on the turn and river. Just do it on one of those streets [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Against certain players, you can fold to a turn reraise, but shorthanded it can be tough.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't play a lot of limit, maybe you should not be playing 200-400.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should let him worry about his own finances. He asked for advice on a hand not on money management.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't play a lot of limit, maybe you should not be playing 200-400.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should let him worry about his own finances. He asked for advice on a hand not on money management.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Then maybe you should let me worry about the content of my posts. See, both of us can give unsolicited advice.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:27 AM

I would have called the turn, and raised the river, and called a reraise.