Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Bubble Blind-Defense?

stars 10+1, apologies, id put it through converter but my laptop is not having it for some reason

PokerStars Game #1546672173: Tournament #7133228, Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2005/04/18 - 21:57:43 (ET)
Table '7133228 1' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: AntBigBanks (5270 in chips)
Seat 2: phillsievers (2170 in chips)
Seat 6: Christine954 (2785 in chips)
Seat 7: WC_Casey (3275 in chips)
AntBigBanks: posts small blind 75
phillsievers: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to phillsievers [4s 4d]
Christine954: folds
WC_Casey: folds
AntBigBanks: raises 300 to 450
phillsievers: raises 1720 to 2170 and is all-in
AntBigBanks: calls 1720
*** FLOP *** [6c As 5h]
*** TURN *** [6c As 5h] [9c]
*** RIVER *** [6c As 5h 9c] [Kd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
AntBigBanks: shows [Qs Ad] (a pair of Aces)
phillsievers: shows [4s 4d] (a pair of Fours)
AntBigBanks collected 4340 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4340 | Rake 0
Board [6c As 5h 9c Kd]
Seat 1: AntBigBanks (small blind) showed [Qs Ad] and won (4340) with a pair of Aces
Seat 2: phillsievers (big blind) showed [4s 4d] and lost with a pair of Fours
Seat 6: Christine954 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: WC_Casey (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

im short stack, but im not desperate. i dont mind the fold here, but i chose to tank it. big stack has been showing proper aggression, and as such i can put him on nothing through AK, a steal is not out of the question on my read.

i decided to take the semi-resteal over the fold. My table image was quite aggressive, but id been showing strong hands. the fact he had a big ace meant he would always call, but thats neither here nor there.

was it the right line?

Phill
Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Bubble Blind-Defense?

I like this play. If called, 4.5% of the time you will be a 4.5-to-1 dog. The other 95.5% of the time, you will be a slight favorite. A raise from the SB is often a steal, resulting in a fold from the SB when you reraise. This is a +EV play IMO.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Bubble Blind-Defense?

This one is iffy IMO, but my reasons my not sound good enough but thats why I am throwing them out there....

You may be THE short stack right now, but you are not short stacked. The table conditions for this are great for you. You have the big stack right in front of you. You will always know when he is in a hand. the other two stacks have to steal through the big stack to get to your blind every single time. This is a 10+1 and people are prone to make very bad bubble choices. Toppled with the fact the bigstack here has shown aggression and therefor without a read I also think he will call a lot looser too... so beware.

all in all I think the edge you gain here is not very good at all.. + EV Yes I think so, IF everyone is the same skill level. If you feel you have a big edge wise skill wise on these monkeys then I personaly think there is a better spot in the future when the blinds are more worth it and your survival rate is much higher.

An important fact is When are the blinds going up. Is it real soon or not so much?

If you feel the read is that villian will fold hands like AT and KQ then push away. If you think he is calling then you may want to reconsider.

This advice comes with a grain of salt. I havent even decided if I like it or not yet, but that being said......

enjoy