Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Walking in circles?

The subject of religion/philosophy has been broached here. Please forgive me if I offend.

One thing about myself that I am sure about is that I do not fear death. I do, however, fear suffering (as in pain). But I have it on pretty good authority that existence is suffering. Do I fear existence? Or am I just walking in circles? Please explain my error to me, as I am honestly puzzled.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Walking in circles?

Existence is not suffering, not in the sense of identity and not as a predicate. Apparently, despite my name, I am not a Buddhist. The overcoming of suffering is gratitude.

[ QUOTE ]
I have it on pretty good authority that existence is suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never believe anything just because an "authority" told you it was so, at least not if you're trying to think clearly.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:45 PM

There many colors to each word, depending on individual perception and situation. I dont recommend reading Buddhism-related material (life is suffering) without having the practice to go with it. Enlightened texts serve as a guide to those attempting to approach that stage.

To answer you question, life is considered suffering because of two things. One, since a person who is unawakened (that is, in a fully concsious state, not self-actualized) is considered to be in perpetual suffering from everyday lives, chores and people. One must practice deep meditation, contemplation or zazen in order to "wake up" and realize suffering to be an illusion. The second and more practical reason that life is suffering is that its a learning ground, without suffering there is no intellectual growth, adaptation, life lessons and memories. Some people even prefer suffering over non-suffering because they realize the importance of progressing. That is not to say that these peple literally like to suffer pain but instead indicates that one's perception is relative to the mindset of the individual. If you believe you are suffering, you are, if you believe you are not, you will not be.

Boris R.
http://www.TheLeagueNY.com
Old 04-11-2005, 04:19 PM

Thank You.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:29 PM

And thank you.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Buddhism does not say existence is suffering. Buddhism states there is impermanence, there is suffering due to craving, there is an end to suffering, the end to suffering is the path. That is different then the statement existence is suffering.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Thank you all, and in advance to any future posters. It seems I used my extremely shallow knowledge of buddhism to put a move on myself, if you will. My little puzzle is solved, but deeper questions remain...

I will read and think about the answers you have given me.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:28 PM

I apologize for the misrepresentation. I'm never quite sure how to represent the religion because it's taken on every possible metaphysical position that I know of in 3 thousand years.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:01 PM

I do not fear death itself, either. I do fear a slow death, such as being a paraplegic or helpless in a nursing home, etc.

I have almost died twice, many years ago. At a certain point I passed out and felt no pain. I did not see any "light" or dead people from my past. My life did not flash before my eyes. I also did not see the wizard behind the curtain...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My little puzzle is solved, but deeper questions remain...

I will read and think about the answers you have given me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to get some feedback on the above. Is it:

a) the cheesiest quote on the forum so far this year.
b) the cheesiest quote on any forum ever.
c) a direct quote from a 60's sci fi TV show.
d) deep and meaningfull