Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 PM

Default ugh.. How bad am I?

Hoping to get some insight from you guys on this hand.
I sat in a 10+1 SNG for a diversion (normally multitable at small stakes full ring limit), and this hand came up. Comments appreciated, and don't hold back, I can take instruction/criticism/abuse. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
UTG+1 seems to be pretty solid, the rest not so much. I "knew" I was going to be shown QJs, but made the call anyway for some irrational reason.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

CO (t1995)
Button (t790)
SB (t490)
BB (t785)
Hero (t1135)
UTG+1 (t1300)
MP1 (t345)
MP2 (t1160)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t50, UTG+1 calls t50, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t300) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t350</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1250 (All-In)</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t735 (All-In).

Turn: (t2635) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2635) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2635
Old 04-04-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: ugh.. How bad am I?

don't limp unless you have a good reason. i.e. the table has been fairly aggressive and you are pretty confident you'll get the chance to reraise.

The flop is a tough decision. AQ would probably raise PF so you're really hoping for KQ, AK or an OESD. I'd probably fold to a solid player and call against an idiot.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:28 AM

Unless you were seeing alot of late position raises with limpers in the pot, I would raise pf. In fact, in my experience with the 10's anyone who would have raised you preflop is probably still going to raise. If not, they'll call, so all is good anyways.

Once you hit this flop, you may think you are behind QJ, but the only way I am folding is if he turns his cards over and shows me QJ or 66. He could be holding AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ-KT, QJ-Q8 (yes, I said Q8, those cards can make a straight you know), JT-J8 or any middle pocket pair. If your read is that he was solid, we can narrow the range to AQ, KQ, QJ, KT (if aggressive), 66. QQ, JJ, KK and AA all seem pretty unlikely. I say it's a call, but I didn't do the math.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 AM

You really think you'll see holdings that broad very often?

Some of those seem unlikely to me to make someone want to go all-in. Like AJ, KJ, Q9, Q8 and QT, JT, J8, or a middle pocket pair. Especially the latter -- I could see a pocket pair if you were in round 7 or short stacked, but going all in otherwise against a possible straight or high pair(or two high pair) seems with just a middle pocket pair seems like suicide.

I know people on the Party skins are often quite bad, but you're basically suggesting what's pretty close to assuming someone will go all-in with not just any piece of the pot, but even without one.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 AM

You should raise preflop. The flop call is just fine, I'm always happy when someone decides to go all-in on the flop and I have overpair even in 20+2's.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:44 AM

They are just that bad. Especially in 10+1's.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:38 AM

At the $10s I think the flop call is automatic even in the unraised pot. The "random garbage" factor is just too high, and since you can basically rule out a set you're only behind QJ and AA. Neither of these hands usually raises the flop either, so I think you can be pretty happy to make the call.

However there's no need to get cute by limping preflop. Just make a hefty raise and enjoy the bad calls. Honestly, open-pushing all-in preflop is probably not far from being the most +EV way to play this hand at the $10s. I recently moved up to the $30s and I'll often see something like this: level 1. UTG open-pushes for 800 with AA. MP calls with JJ. SB calls with 99.