Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you left or Right handed?
Left handed 50 27.32%
Right handed 122 66.67%
Ambidextrous 11 6.01%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: How much did you win/lose in your first year?

Interesting that this was posted today.
I started playing seriously April 1, 2004. Some time in Feb i made my first deposit of 50, and lost it playing 25NL. Some time later a friend bought in and used me as his referrer. Got my 50$, dicked around and really didnt make or lose much of anything. I dont know if April 1 was the exact date, but thats what i've been telling people who ask me. That is when i bought a few books, (supersystem, low limit hold'em, caros book of tells) learned not to see 40% of the flops, and started grinding at .5/1.

Early July i got bored and cashed everything out and quit until I think September, it was a solid 3 months of no poker. At that point I was up about 5500. about 1500 from .5/1, 2000-2500 from 25NL and 50NL, the rest from SNGs and multis. I really didnt have a regular game, I was just playing whatever i felt like.

When i came back in september I learned about bonus whoring and racked up a whole lot of money very quickly. By Jan 1 05 i broke 10,000. Early Jan I learned about multi-monitoring and rakeback and began grinding the limits. All of March I've been 12 tabling 3/6 as a part time job, and just last night I broke 18k total profit.

If I had a friend tell me about bonus whoring, multimonitoring, and rakeback since day 1 of my online play, I am very confident that I could have broken 50k my first year.

So the # of people who are 50k+ doesnt surprise me. Im sure some are lying, but its not unbelievable at all.

I guess technically I busted one time. I dont know if I count my first 50$ as a bust or not though. More like buying into a 50$ live game and losing.
Havent busted since then.

50$-18000+$ mmmmm [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 PM

astro-

if you had to guage the overall 'softness' of online poker in the last 6 years, would it be as dramatic of a differnce from 99 to now as most expect? (assume you had a median skill level of what you had/have)
Old 03-31-2005, 09:56 PM

Just finishing my 7th month and still playing on my original $20 deposit. I anticipate finishing my first year at around +13,000, but that's just a guesstimate until I prove or disprove it.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:29 PM

but that's just a guesstimate until I prove or disprove it.

true
Old 03-31-2005, 10:31 PM

90% of poker players say they made money. Of that 90% most are wrong. They believe they made money but unless you have the records to back it up. No records No believe

Last year playing rec made about $10,000 At about $4500 so far this year
Old 03-31-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So far EVERYBODY in the poll won, except me.

I'm suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]
These polls never seem to get honest answers. There was one not too long ago about how much you lost before you reached the point where you could win at poker, and it turned out that everyone on twoplustwo has been a winning poker player since birth, except for one guy who was making 3 BB/100 in utero and one who was allowed to carry his bankroll over from a previous life.

[/ QUOTE ]

My well-known deal with Mrs. Milo meant I could never be a losing player. I started with $50 and never looked back (okay, I got down to $12 at one point). I sucked back then, and I survived without ever being a losing player. I just sucked less than other Party Idiots, and ran well for a while, without knowing I was running well.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So far EVERYBODY in the poll won, except me.

I'm suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]
These polls never seem to get honest answers. There was one not too long ago about how much you lost before you reached the point where you could win at poker, and it turned out that everyone on twoplustwo has been a winning poker player since birth, except for one guy who was making 3 BB/100 in utero and one who was allowed to carry his bankroll over from a previous life.

[/ QUOTE ]

My well-known deal with Mrs. Milo meant I could never be a losing player. I started with $50 and never looked back (okay, I got down to $12 at one point). I sucked back then, and I survived without ever being a losing player. I just sucked less than other Party Idiots, and ran well for a while, without knowing I was running well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, except I made the deal with myself and started with $100 on Party. I just ran well and without knowing it at the time.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
90% of poker players say they made money. Of that 90% most are wrong. They believe they made money but unless you have the records to back it up. No records No believe

Last year playing rec made about $10,000 At about $4500 so far this year

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to bet most of the players on these forums have decent records and can back up their claims.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:35 AM

i lost a bunch to scrub, drpublo, wayfare, et al in their home game before figuring out how to play; i put down 2k-10k.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:04 PM

first year ends Sept. 9th. Aiming for somewhere around the 5k in the green range.