Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Deck Color
Hot pink (nowhere) 2 8.70%
Aqua (Party) 1 4.35%
Green (both) 2 8.70%
Red (both) 12 52.17%
Purple/pink (Stars/Party) 0 0%
Blue (both) 2 8.70%
Orange (both) 4 17.39%
Yellow (Stars) 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Nate\'s Preflop Tightness Quiz

I translated Nate's quiz to a poll format, since I think it would be useful to see the answers that way. I miscounted the questions, so I added a couple at the end.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Nate\'s Preflop Tightness Quiz

Can someone support why its correct to 3bet a 2+2er's MP raise with AJs? Would you do the same with AJo?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 PM

Hopefully to fold the blinds, show aggression, if he caps see where you're at. It's mostly an isolation play when I make it. Many of these are situational based on actual reads, but still enlightening nonetheless. Good poll.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:18 PM

I think the context here (that this was coming from a thread chastising people for playing too tightly) is going to bias the results and cause some people who would normally say fold to instead vote for calling or raising. Still interesting though.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[MP open raise, why reraise on the button with AJs?]

Hopefully to fold the blinds, show aggression, if he caps see where you're at. It's mostly an isolation play when I make it.

[/ QUOTE ]
With AJs, I would just cold-call. It's one of the few times I think that's right. AJs plays well in a multi-way pot, and I don't think I'm ahead.

If you 3-bet and get capped, that doesn't tell you much. You still don't know whether you need to hit your ace or your jack to be good. It's just very likely that you won't win unimproved.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone support why its correct to 3bet a 2+2er's MP raise with AJs? Would you do the same with AJo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause you have what's more than likely the best hand and position on him. The boarderline with AJo is probably between the hijack and the seat before that.

Don't let all your book knowledge (that says dont play aj to a raise etc) get in the way of thinking...think about the hands he'll open with. I know I'm opening JTs, qts, KTs mb even T9s, >77 etc. mb KJo or something similar too.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't let all your book knowledge (that says dont play aj to a raise etc) get in the way of thinking...think about the hands he'll open with. I know I'm opening JTs, qts, KTs mb even T9s, >77 etc. mb KJo or something similar too

[/ QUOTE ]

I open most of those as well.

But when the description is 2+2er I think of how tight most of them are. For years this site was filled with tighties that constantly bragged about how tight they were. I guess that is the point of these threads

If the description was changed to a normal aggressive player then I would like the 3bet.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:54 PM

Thanks, pzhon, for taking the trouble to put this in quiz form.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't let all your book knowledge (that says dont play aj to a raise etc) get in the way of thinking...think about the hands he'll open with. I know I'm opening JTs, qts, KTs mb even T9s, >77 etc. mb KJo or something similar too

[/ QUOTE ]

I open most of those as well.

But when the description is 2+2er I think of how tight most of them are. For years this site was filled with tighties that constantly bragged about how tight they were. I guess that is the point of these threads

If the description was changed to a normal aggressive player then I would like the 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is a little hobby horse of mine. Most 2+2ers play many fewer hands than their opponents, but they also raise somewhat more hands than their opponents. You shouldn't necessarily play tighter against a 2+2ers *raise*.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 PM

You guys should all read this in the original thread, because Nate's explanation of why he picks what option is one of the best pre flop posts-period.