Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Jeannie in the Bottle: Grant Me One Wish

Without question it's number 1. The money aside (that's been covered), watching yourself on TV is one of the greatest feelings ever.

I placed very high in a national elementary school chess tournament when I was in fifth grade, which I parlayed into a 30-second interview on the local (Peoria, IL) news. I probably watched the videotape of that 30-seconds 500 times. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to watch myself on a WPT event. VERY ego-friendly.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:55 PM

definately #2. The entire reason I play poker is so that someday I can play in a game with those kinds of players.

I see it now - Chan is on my left, Doyle on my right, Gus Hansen is across from me pondering a call with 8 3 offsuit. Life is good!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
definately #2. The entire reason I play poker is so that someday I can play in a game with those kinds of players.

I see it now - Chan is on my left, Doyle on my right, Gus Hansen is across from me pondering a call with 8 3 offsuit. Life is good!

[/ QUOTE ]

#1, and it's not close for reasons previously mentioned. The only exception would be if the big game was true NL, no cap, in which case you could just keep going all-in (assuming you were covered), and either double up or bust ($250k).

With the bankroll you're assured to win in #1, I don't think you'd have any problem finding yourself welcome at the big game and fulfilling your dream. For a little while, at least . . . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take #2. on average against the pros i would say that my EV would be -750,000$, which would mean that i would have 1 million on average. at worst i take the 250,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess you're kidding here, or you just really didn;t think it through, since considering you either make 1.75 million or lose 1.5 million, you answer essentially means you feel you have a 24% or so chance of doubling up vs these guys. There aren't 20 players in the world who have that chance, and, no offense, I doubt you're one of them.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Also, if it isn't dead obvious, #2 is going to get you 250k 99.9% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate how much luck is involved in this game.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Also, if it isn't dead obvious, #2 is going to get you 250k 99.9% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate how much luck is involved in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you overestimate how little luck plays a part in THAT game.

You're likely kidding, but remember, these guys plays 6,7 or more different games. Your average excellent hold'em player would be lost in PL Omaha Hi and Triple Draw, and near as I can tell, these guys are probably pretty good at them.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 PM

I already think I have a clue, but how good is just a clue against the final table at the WSOP? Maybe #3 is the best long range wish to choose.

And the answer is: 1

I just can't pass up that final table!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd guess you're kidding here, or you just really didn;t think it through, since considering you either make 1.75 million or lose 1.5 million, you answer essentially means you feel you have a 24% or so chance of doubling up vs these guys. There aren't 20 players in the world who have that chance, and, no offense, I doubt you're one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the chances, in my poker dreams this is the game I dream about, the big game at the Bellagio, not cameras or Vince Van Patten (although obviously a WSOP bracelet would be a nice dream too, but thats not guaranteed in any way in the hypothetical).

PLUS

I think at least a fair amount of rich suckers get in to that game, I know that most of those pros have no problem sitting around and taking money from each other but there still has to be some flow of soft money in to the game, I could just avoid everyone who has their own DVD, website or bobble-head doll.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the chances, in my poker dreams this is the game I dream about, the big game at the Bellagio, not cameras or Vince Van Patten (although obviously a WSOP bracelet would be a nice dream too, but thats not guaranteed in any way in the hypothetical).

PLUS

I think at least a fair amount of rich suckers get in to that game, I know that most of those pros have no problem sitting around and taking money from each other but there still has to be some flow of soft money in to the game, I could just avoid everyone who has their own DVD, website or bobble-head doll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i one of the big games, the "sucker" is Larry Flynt, who, from what i hear, is an excellent player in his own right. It's all straight stud, and the other regulars are Ivey, Oppenheim, Hennigan, Greenstein, Reese, and Giang. Soft sapots in these games are often guys who are only stellar players. It's a lofty and grand goal, but under this scenariom it's a weak 2nd place.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 PM

I think it's a pretty easy choice to take #1.

with a gun to my head forcing me to take #3, I'd choose Oz, Tommy and Ray Zee. I'd have Oz cover fundamentals, Tommy could teach me to play guitar and Ray and I could go fishing while he tells me stories about the old days.