Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Jeannie in the Bottle: Grant Me One Wish

Scenario: You are walking down S. Las Vegas Blvd. after a break even session. You're a bit down on your luck when you notice a strange bottle in the shrubs, just behind the guy handing out strip club paraphernalia. You quickly pick up the bottle and head down an alley. Wouldn't you know it...your luck has changed! A Jeannie shoots out of the bottle in a haze of smoke and grants you your choice of these three poker wishes:

(1) You are the second biggest stack at a WPT final table. Filming is about to begin as you take the #1 seat next to the dealer. The flashing lights are making you a little dizzy as you attempt to put on your game face. You see Vince and Mike in the distance and close family members in the crowd. The payout structure for this WPT event is: 6th ($240K), 5th (290K), 4th ($335K), 3rd ($385K), 2nd ($775K), 1st ($1.4M + WPT Championship Event buy-in).

(2) You are given $1.75M in real money. You will play in the Las Vegas' Big Game against the likes of Phil Ivey, Ted Forrest, Barry Greenstein, Todd Brunson (well, you get the idea). You will play until your bank roll reaches $250K or $3.5M...whichever comes first. This may take one session or several sessions - it may take one night or one month, or even longer. You play until you hit one of these benchmarks at which time you are forced to leave and can't re-enter the Big Game for one calendar year.

(3) You choose any three poker pros to tutor you in a Poker Boot Camp. This boot camp will take place at The Rio during WSOP play. You will have a suite at The Rio and three hours each day with each of your chosen pros for a total of nine hours per day. You have the pros for five days for a total of 45 hours of hands on training (these five days do not have to be in a row). You can "talk shop" with them in the suite, or have them looking over your shoulder during a session, or look over their shoulder during a session (you get the idea). You will be given $100K in real money during this boot camp. You can use $30K to buy into various WSOP events and the other $70K to test your skills at the juicy ring games that will be taking place during this time at The Rio (your ring game play will give the pros a chance to watch your play over your shoulder). You get to keep any money earned during your play at the WSOP.

I would choose wish #3. I really work hard on trying to make myself a better player and 45 hours with three of the best during WSOP month would go a long way toward improving my game. I would also have the opportunity to play in several WSOP events which would be an experience I'd certainly never forget. The potential to make money might not be as great as the other two choices; however, walking away with six figures is still a possibility. I'd be remiss if I didn't list my three instructors for the boot camp: Phil Ivey, Carlos Mortensen and Jennifer Harman Traniello.

I'm interested in seeing which wish others choose and especially WHY you would choose that wish over the other two.

Greg H.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Jeannie in the Bottle: Grant Me One Wish

Either one or three...two is just idiotic. Also, it's genie.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 AM

I would take #2...either way im guaranteed at least 250k...
Old 01-28-2005, 02:23 AM

First off, wrong forum for this.

Secondly, any answer other than #1 is just plain stupid. Worst case scenario is 240k in the first wish, so effectively, you are saying 45 hours of poker instruction and a room at the Rio is worth 140k, or $3111.11 per hour IN THE WORST-CASE SCENARIO. I guarantee you ANY player would give you instruction for $1000 an hour. Notwithstanding the fact that you must use 30% of it in WSOP entries which can EASILY net you zero.

Nice try, but you gotta come up with something better than this.

P.S. Also, if it isn't dead obvious, #2 is going to get you 250k 99.9% of the time.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:39 AM

i swtich my answer to #1, Daliman convinced me, even though i don't like cameras...
Old 01-28-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Also, if it isn't dead obvious, #2 is going to get you 250k 99.9% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

pffft

you don't think you could go on a 100bb rush?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pffft

you don't think you could go on a 100bb rush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, considering the big game is usually 4k-8k, plus 100k cap loss NL games thrown in, you'd need about a 220 BB rush vs the best in the world.

THat would require a LOT of whippets.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:59 PM

I’d like to pick 3 and try to parley the experience into a career but the 6th place finish in choice 1 is pretty tempting. 1 or 3 would depend on the lineup and the stack sizes involved in choice 1.

Number 2 is not even close.

Best of Luck

Hathaway
Old 01-28-2005, 01:04 PM

take #2. on average against the pros i would say that my EV would be -750,000$, which would mean that i would have 1 million on average. at worst i take the 250,000.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:39 PM

If you're the second biggest stack at the WPT final table, then you can probably finish higher than 6th by not playing a hand. In fact, from many of the WPT broadcasts (Steve Z in the Party Poker Million immediately comes to mind), it would seem that playing ultra tight would have a good chance of getting you to fourth or third, and I'd certainly take $385,000 and some TV time over $250,000 or boot camp.