Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 01-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Beginner Questions for online SNG\'s

After watching poker on TV for a couple of years, I just recently started playing on-line. I read a few books, and played the "play money" tables for a while at Party.

I realized that it's going to cost me some money to "get educated" - so recently started playing the $5/1 tables at Party. I've been able to play breakeven ROI through 20 SNG at the $5 level (which I realize is a tiny sample), but I hate giving away the 20% registration fee.

I'm wondering if moving to the $10/1 tables is a stupid move so soon? I figure that even if I place IMO less often (a reasonable assumption if not a certainty at this point) I still might manage breakeven ROI because of the 10% vs. 20% registration fee. I might also learn more faster at the $10/1 tables.

Should I go with the certainty of being able to play many more games at the $5/1 level, thus gaining more experience. Or should I take the chance of playing less games at the $10/1 level, but maybe gaining more valuable experience faster?

I'm also wondering what books you would recommend for learning to play well at short tables? Harrington's book has been great for learning to play full or near-full tables, but I'm getting killed when the tables get to around 4 players.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Beginner Questions for online SNG\'s

Many players don't like the $1 fee for the $5 SnGs, but I think that the extremely bad play at the level compensates for the additional 10% fee. Although the $11 and $6 are not much difference, there is SOME difference. If you are breaking even at the $5, I would stay there until you can beat them. They should be beatable once you get a good number of trials.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:05 PM

Paying a 20% vig is suicide.

Move up and play as much as you can. If you go broke, re-buy when you can afford it.

Read everything on this forum by the posters mentioned in all the threads asking who the best posters are.

Also, you can play on PokerStars for $5 + 0.50.

There are no books available to teach you how to beat SNGs. But it's important to read everything by S&M so that you have the context necessary to understand the advice on this board.

Good luck.

Irieguy
Old 01-16-2005, 02:07 PM

If you are going to play $5 SnG's play at Poker Stars, they only charge you $0.50. So it will cost you $5.50 to play instead of $6. The competition is a little better too so your game should improve more as well.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM

UB offers $5+.50 as well.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've moved up to the $10 + $1 on party and I'm doing fine so far. I also learned from a bunch of these threads that I had to loosen up a little sooner than I was, and start getting more aggressive around the bubble.

I think it's better to finish OTM a little more often, rather than limp into the final 3 as the little stack and have to settle for 3rd place money.

-John
Old 01-22-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Read everything on this forum by the posters mentioned in all the threads asking who the best posters are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give links to these threads? I can't seem to find them on search.

Thanks!