Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Weak play, or right play

cashing is not my only goal, but neither is coming in first. I was not planning on folding into the money, it was just likely given the circumstances. If I had a good situation, like not being UTG or have KK or AA.

KK is much better than QQ in this situation. It takes the edge away from people playing KJ, KT, K9. All likely to be played given our relative stack sizes.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:07 PM

Okay, but I just find it funny that you fold QQ utg and push 23os from the SB. So you pass up a what you think is a 66% edge and two hands later push a dog to any hand from the small blind in a obvious steal position that is going to be called alt more than your UTG push. just makes no sense.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:09 PM

What about my other points? I'm really not worried about a bare A or K calling me here. I'd welcome the 70% chance of doubling up if he/she calls.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:09 PM

Also, I think you're waaaaay overestimating how often you get called here.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:31 PM

Why not at least mini-raise here, if you are wanting to play conservative? Push to a favorable flop?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In later position, i make the play, but with 7 to act behind me, 6 with substantially more chips, I figured a call was likely and I would be AT BEST a 66% favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't cash in tournaments very often do you?

PRO TIP: QQ is an 80% favorite over smaller pocket pairs.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:03 PM

I can't go bust with the 2nd play. Both are strictly tournament decisions. Not about having the best hand before the flop.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Perhaps sickening to play a MTT and finish just out of the money, but I find it just as sickening that you would pass up a premium hand b/c you are afraid of the bare ace or some other call. A double puts you in a position to really do damage if you get another hand.
I just can't imagine how squeaking into the bottom money is worth passing up a giant statistical edge. I may be wrong, but usually the bottom levels of payouts in a MTT is rarely more than double your entry fee, if even that, and a double up in this situation may surge you pass half the remaining field. For what its worth. . .
-Scott
Old 12-14-2004, 04:09 PM

Again, I do not disagree with anyone who says they go all in. I am just saying it isn't automatic for all situations and mine might invite unorthodox (you may call it incorrect) play.

As to your points, you would win 70% of the time, but that does not guarantee a jump in prize money to the level beyond 36th. You are still below average. So 30% you are out, 70% you are still below average on chips and 9 players away from moving up. Folding, you are guaranteed (barring playing an even better situation and losing) 36th.

If anything, I think my fold provided some good discussion here.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a double up in this situation may surge you pass half the remaining field.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't have, but I understand your point.

Believe me guys, I understand all the concepts you have given me, but I just think there are certain situations that call for tournament specific plays. Folds that are usually raises, raises that are usually folds, etc. It appears you all feel this isn't one of them, but I would be inclined to believe the decision was marginal as are most hands discussed here. Easy decisions do not generate much discussion. I know you think I am not getting it, but I do understand all of your points.