Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-07-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Not a fossil bashing post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think the world champion of poker, with a 5 million dollar payday, feels the need to come on this website and defend his reputation?

[/ QUOTE ]

was that a sarcastic shot at greg? i'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wasn't I'm saying that I think Greg has enough faith in himself to not be bothered by a bunch of anonymous posters writing about him.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:18 AM

I agree with your point to some extent. The fact that he does come here and defend himself shows that he has respect for many of the "anonymous posters". He knows that most (several?) of us are sincere and value his input, even if it involves something as poker irrelevant as how he feels about people taking potshots at him.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:32 AM

I dont think asking whether someone is overatted sould EVER be construed as a bashing of said person.(Ive mentionaed this example before) There can be a very strong case made that Joe Dimmagio was/is a completely overatted player. If I was a mamber of a baseball forum and the subject of Joe Dimaggios greatness constanty came up to such a degree that i thought other players like Musial, Mays, and Williams were becoming overshadowed I would certainly make similiar posts to the one i made in regards to the treatment of Raymer on this board. Would I then be guilty of character assasination against Dimaggio?? If I reasonably laid out statistics and a comparison of fielding,throwing, and baserunning skills would that be proof that I held some long standing agenda driven by envy to rip down Dimaggio; or would it just mean I wanted Dimaggio to be treated fairly and equally to all the other great players that played MLB&gt;?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:23 PM

zaxx you have to understand that coming to this board, where raymer is a long time poster, you will encounter the type of people who will overreact to saying someone is overrated.

It's like arguing with a sportsfan about their hometeam, since their have a bias they are going to misinterpret when you say theyre overrated. There is a selection bias in the people you are arguing with, thats why you're getting into these arguments even though youre really not trashing raymer.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There can be a very strong case made that Joe Dimmagio was/is a completely overatted player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemer.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:16 PM

This does not address my point that there is not enough evidence to make any conclusions on playing ability with reasonable certainty.

I happen to agree that people star f--- too much here, with famous posters like fossilman, paul phillips, annie duke, etc. But you get that anywhere, in any endeavour.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:17 PM

All Fossilman has to do is repeat a line by Ben Affleck in Boiler Room: "Gentleman, I am a fuc*ing millionare."

'Nuff said
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Default All you have to do then ...

is think more like an ambassador when you post.

That is, make your point, but do it with words carefully selected to not be offensive. The words and phrases you have chosen carry strong implications that you were trashing me. If you had said the same thing with more neutral words, you could've made that point, and not raised any ire.

I'm glad you weren't trying to trash me. Nobody ever likes that. Maybe we'll get along here at some point despite the rocky start.

I hope so.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There can be a very strong case made that Joe Dimmagio was/is a completely overatted player

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as an oveRATted Italian except for maybe "Sammy the Bull."

Vince
Old 12-09-2004, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think the world champion of poker, with a 5 million dollar payday, feels the need to come on this website and defend his reputation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I havn't been around here lately, so I havn't seen many of the 'fossil bashing' posts, but yes, I would think that while the money is nice, many poker players would also have a desire to be known as one of the best simply from a competitive standpoint.